• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HELP Shotgun Choices??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only owned two sxs. One was a very nice 20 ga featherweight SKB unmentionable decades ago; and about 20 years ago a Pedersoli 12 ga sxs. So I don't know much about them except the one I had sported chrome lined barrels and was rated for steel shot. I bought it at the LGS for a price (brand new) I won't mention simply because I don't like making people cry. Fit and finish was beyond anything anything I'd normally expect and I thought it was a beauty. It got sold after a few years for reasons I can't even recall. I do know it has a very good home though. Although being not much of a shotgun shooter/lover I still kinda miss that fine gun. So from my very limited experience I think they are great. Weight? Never gave it a thought as it was pretty much perfect IMHO.

In my experience, the earlier Pedersolis pre-screw-in-choke handled much better than the latter version. You can see how the Pedersoli barrel tapers nicely then thickens near the muzzle to accommodate the chokes. To me, this forward weight makes what was formerly a lively shotgun handle like a 2X4.

One thing I've found with original SxS's is that the right had locks (and barrels) are sometimes more worn than the left ones. Maybe the old-timers were better shots and didn't need the left barrel? One old Belgian 12ga I shoot often is this way.

With most shooters being right-handed, it is more convenient to cock the right hammer to shoot, especially when in a hurry.

I have a fairly new 12 Ga with the screw in chokes. it is a wonderful shooter. Don't listen to the stuff about hard to load with wads. All you need is the overshot card wads. they easily fold to get past the chokes. use 4 over the powder and one over the shot. Mine gives wonderful patterns witth up to 1 1/4 square loads all the way down to 7/8 oz and 1F Goex. Maybe lower, I just haven't bothered to load that light.

All I know about shotguns I learned from a paper written by V. M. Starr. It is in the BP forum on castboolits.gunloads.com I wouldn't have bet a nickle on the card wads patterning well like that, but the proof is in the pudding.

I'm going to go by your statement "I love squirrel and rabbit hunting" so I also LOVE a light weight SXS 12 gauge for field work. I own a 1986 Navy Arms Pietta in 12 gauge and find it is great walking the fields for birds and rabbits. If I was hunting for just squirrels in the woods I would pick a 20-gauge smooth bore fowler with a 30-34 inch cylinder - improved cylinder choked barrel. You will only get one shot at that squirrel anyway before he runs around the other side of the tree if you miss him. :ghostly:

Eye candy time....
IMG_20181231_105530475.jpg

Late 70's 12g Pedersoli.
kingston 233.jpg
an 1983 Pedersoli 12g
20210807_185558.jpg

10g.

One thing I've found with original SxS's is that the right had locks (and barrels) are sometimes more worn than the left ones. Maybe the old-timers were better shots and didn't need the left barrel? One old Belgian 12ga I shoot often is this way.
Well, I have 2 SxS's, a 1980s Twelve Gauge Pedersoli, and an ancient 20 Ga hardware store brand. In both of these doubles there are double triggers - one trigger corresponding to each barrel. The Front trigger fires the Right barrel with a wider choke; the Rear trigger does the tighter choked Left barrel. Whenever a quail or bunny flushes, I instinctively slap that front trigger, and that is usually the correct choke for nearby game. Don't know if there are other reasons for excessive Right side wear on scatterguns, but that's my experience.

I have two Pedersoli SXS, one 12g percussion and one 20g flintlock. The 12g is actually lighter and better handling than the newer 20g flintlock, I do enjoy the 20g. I suspect Pedersoli made the barrels thick on the 20g flinter because they hinted at a rifled version that has recently been added to DGWs web page.

Once you find your load for your gun and application, I find I give the suppository gun crowd a run for their money except in reloading speed.

Last edited:
I currently have 2 Pedersoli ML shotguns. One is a 20 ga sxs that I am going to see when I get around to getting it checked out. The other is a Pedersoli 12 ga SXS that I am currently patterning. Love them both. The 20 I have had for about 10 years and the 12 for about 2 months now. Can't say enough good things about them. The look great... the wood to metal fit is extremely good and the wood is gorgeous. Right now I have the left barrel patterned and it is exceptional. Just need to work on a load for the right barrel. Hoping it is the same as the left Modified barrel. I also have 4 Pedersoli ML rifles and a smooth bore fowler. Love them all . First class looking and shoot fantastic. Highly recommend.

Available not available backorder no only 2 left... 2 million dollars 2 round capacity!!!

Last edited:
Lmao just looked on midway USA... they have the Deluxe 20 gauge flintlock!! Available in stock.

A rare nice one to grab new. I don't know. The Italians aren't going to send many of those.

Back