• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

gunpowder burns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan delimont

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok, without going into too many details, let me ask if anyone knows how to remove blackpowder from your skin. Hint, this incident involved a flintlock, the frizin, and my stupidity.

If it has actually penetrated the skin it will never come out since what you see is the carbon. I dropped a dirty vent pick on my hand that just slightly penetrated the skin and now have a black freckle. Hey that gives me an idea, we could do a rendezvous tattoo with this method. NOT!

You aren't a true blackpowder initiate unless you have a little inadvertant B.P. tat somewhere upon your person! Welcome to the clan!

I agree with others. I jammed a pencil into my knee when I was a kid, and I still have a faint blue spot there to "honor" the occasion. I washed and dug at it back then trying to clean it all out of the wound, but it just would not all come out.

I have friends who have peppered "tattoos" on their necks and cheeks, where they were standing too close to a re-enactor when he fired his Bess off, and got burned with powder debris on the left sides of their faces and necks. It only happens ONCE, thank God! :grin: :thumbsup:

have a 10 year old freckle tattoo on my bicep..at the firing line, pulling the cock back, a spark made it into the pan...the gun was at waist level and pointed down range, and I was wearing a tee shirt...I always have the cock back before I prime, now..Hank

well, long ago and far away, when i was still in junior high, when i had all my hair, before the Tet offensive (you get the picture), i fell on a cinder track (this was before the synthetic track surfaces were all the rage) and ended up with a good bit of real estate on the inside. over forty years later, there are still faint marks and a small scar on my right hand.

so, i would recommend a topical antibiotic, keep it clean, and a secret pharmacology invention, usually refered to as ToT

(Tincture of Time)

If you were very close, you personally won't be able to remove it. Maybe a dermatologist could with a skin peel. I changed a flint on the firing line with the muzzle pointing down range, and the priming removed. After I changed the flint I closed the frizzen on a empty pan, pulled the cock back to full, then let it fall, striking the frizzen, a bunch of sparks and BANG!! Well I had the rifle with the touch hole vertical, and I couldn't believe a spark entered the touch hole and set the rifle off giving me a Black Powder Tattoo on my left forearm. I tried to dig them out, but gave up for they were too deep. ...Geo.

Last year a guy had his trigger lightened up(in the once range :shocked2: ) He asked me if I would like to give it a try. He loaded primed and handed me his rifle. As I usually do, I pulled the hammer to full cock with my fore(pointer) linger. That put my middle finger right beside the touch hole :nono: . The lock clicked at full cock and as soon as I let go, it went off!! :cursing: I was afraid to look for a second. It felt like I blew the tip of my finger off..
I picked out what I could and washed it with soap and water, then some rubbing alcohol(91%) and daily applications of vitamin E. No band-aid. After a couple of weeks, I was able to pull of the scab and with it a lot of the embedded powder residue. :grin: Below are then and now photo's. :redface:
ouch.jpg
_6215988.jpg

YOu did a lot better removing the powder burns than I did! Its hardly noticeable, unless you are in good light, and point it out to folks.

Consider it a " battle scar". Wear it with honor. After all, how many of the people you know have a similar scar???

I have rope burns scars on both hands,( two different stories), knife wound scars, an arrow wound scar, dog and cat bite scars, and even a scar on my wrist where I got stabbed by the wire on a new cyclone fence. I even have a scar on my ring finger from when my own body developed a reaction to my ring, blistered, and the tissue came off deep enough to remove most of the freckles that used to be there, and left a bare skin ring scar in their place. That was 37 years ago, and I am just now getting a few freckles back in that scar tissue.

You earn your scars by living. Wear them with pride. No one gets old being a wimp! :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

i make a point of pointing out whenever i let a stranger fire my rifle, i tell them hold onto the cock and pull back to full and slowly release when u hear the click, like in this case i imagine, the cock might let go and inadvertently and fire.

Reminded me why a right hander should never shoot a left handed flint lock. The vent will be in your face. Glad I was taught some blackpowder safety befor shooting.

Well, been there and done that. Actually since I was still hurting and bleeding, I picked all the carbon out with a knife and needle. I knew it was going to tattoo me if I didn't and my arms are still not tattooed.

Got a palm full like that once. Did not feel good, either! I eventually picked the bits out with a needle and tweezers. Look close, though, and you can still see a couple of spots.

Latest posts

Back