• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Questions, is it just me but I get a ton of them by PM

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think general civility seems to be a non-existent feature of the digital universe.
It’s a cold and soulless world there.
(Yeah, way back, we were taught that every correspondence was obliged a reply, no matter how brief.)
Reminds me of holding a door open for someone behind you who passes through without even acknowledging you.
Eric, at least you tried.

I think general civility seems to be a non-existent feature of the digital universe.
(Yeah, way back, we were taught that every correspondence was obliged a reply, no matter how brief.)
Reminds me of holding a door open for someone behind you who passes through without even acknowledging you.
So correct Bob. When I was a Kid when I received a Gift I had to sit down and write a thank you letter. It was mandated by my Parents. My great nieces and nephew,s not a word of thanks for anything under the same circumstances today.

how things have changed...

I will say everything that I type out to answer a PM I have posted here before on the forums. The search feature here really sucks, I have a difficult time finding anything.

I tried several learn to type programs years ago, I am a lost cause, I blame it on drawknifing over 250 osage staves down to workable wood with a draw knife over the last 28 years, my body is 76 but it feels like my hands are pushing 90.
I know. I've tried and can't get past the one finger method. By the time I get a response typed out on a thread the subject has moved on to something else.

Just wondering, I get a ton of PMs from people wanting to know how to do things, very involved questions that take me up to an hour to answer, I can't type so answers take me a long time, I do have pictures that I share of everything I ever did during a TC overhaul or just about everything else involved in gun building.

For you folk out there asking, I am done, enough already, ask your questions on the forum. Another thing, about half the people who ask the questions never say a word of thanks after I give them a very detailed answer with pictures.
I always read your post, you and other's wealth of knowledge makes this site worthwhile. Maybe instead of replying privately you could post answers publicly.
And yes a thank you is important !

....Maybe instead of replying privately you could post answers publicly.....
I think this wouldn't be a good solution. Both sides of the conversation need to be kept private or there's no point in having a pm feature. I would suggest that an appropriate and acceptable solution would be to pm a reply to the initial question by asking the sender to post his question publicly. Eric could even template the text so it's a simple copy and paste that takes just a few seconds.

I can't use the speech to text app because I always think of something I left out or better way to say it. I have found when giving advice that you have to tone it down so someone who has minimal skills can understand it.

I have never posted anything that I didn't edit at least 6 times after the fact.

Just wondering, I get a ton of PMs from people wanting to know how to do things,
Guilty.
You have shown us amazing thing in your posts.
And many of us that have delved into that realm of reconstruction understand the what/how and why of how you did it.
But you haven't shared the detail of it on the forum,,
,,you should. Honest.
If you have those photo's, if you have those detailed answers in PM,, you could click/copy/paste those details here in the open forum,,
,, if/when the same question is repeated. (we all see those repeated questions)
Your public sharing is and has been valuable too all. You get those PM's because some of the detail of your skilled works have been missing.
Please, Share them,, what's the worst that could happen? Your works/posts and advice being stuck in the archived records forever?

Maybe you could direct the person to look through your previous posts. They could very well find the answer there.

I think most of us are very appreciative of your help. Thank you!

You know, it's only about 20% of the population that's either clueless and spinning or 2% that are downright anti-social. The problem is the 20% are so noisy and in-your-face that they seem like the majority. Don't let em get you down!

And I can understand how frustrating it can be trying to type something up when you're a hunt and peck typer. Especially when you're almost done and then it suddenly disappears.

For some, they believe their direct and sometimes condescending response is "who they are" and thus feel justified. Some of these guys must have been old school range masters or stitch counters who always seemed to lack people skills. Years ago I encouraged some of my fellow club members to join this forum yet many ceased after know-it-all attitudes were evident in the responses. Yes, that may be who you are on the Forum and how you choose to respond, yet my question still remains--With all that knowledge and experience, why not submit an article to one of our national publications using that same tone? Think it will get published? I have written my share of articles in my lifetime and yet to see one with such attitude connotations. Some of us develop a thicker skin and go on. Overall civility would be far better but unfortunately, lacking it is their justification for "who I am" and expect other to accept it. Too bad.

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to follow a kid in school all day and sit through what I believe is the brainwashing session they get. No ethics, no civility, no raw history. Just safe spaces and history skewed through the left prism.

For some, they believe their direct and sometimes condescending response is "who they are" and thus feel justified. Some of these guys must have been old school range masters or stitch counters who always seemed to lack people skills. Years ago I encouraged some of my fellow club members to join this forum yet many ceased after know-it-all attitudes were evident in the responses. Yes, that may be who you are on the Forum and how you choose to respond, yet my question still remains--With all that knowledge and experience, why not submit an article to one of our national publications using that same tone? Think it will get published? I have written my share of articles in my lifetime and yet to see one with such attitude connotations. Some of us develop a thicker skin and go on. Overall civility would be far better but unfortunately, lacking it is their justification for "who I am" and expect other to accept it. Too bad.
You apparently never followed previous posts by the OP, as your post mischaracterizes one of the most open and gracious members of this forum. He has always been willing to help those who asked advice of him, give him a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back