• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question Regarding Woman Rondy Attire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Movie Many River to Cross Eleanor Parker ( steppin' Woman) shirt and buckskin pants. not that accurate historically but funny as hell.

many-rivers-2.jpg

**Posted in Clothing section as well ** My wife loves shooting the flintlock now. She wants to go to the Rondy's but REFUSES to wear a dress or anything like it. Can she get away with buckskin pants and a primitive shirt, and moccasins of time period and be ok. I have never seen a woman at an event dressed this way. Just asking for consensus and opinions of the group. Basically she wants to get involved and be comfortable in her way, but me not having to get into it with anyone defending my wife. And I am 100 percent positive juried events will be out of question due to most specifically stating what woman can wear.
She is fine in buckskin. I can remember 2 women in history books wearing buckskins.

At the second Southwestern Regional Rendezvous ( 1987 or 88) a buxom SYT strutted through camp a few days wearing a tiny buckskin bikini. The whole thing wasn't enough to make a decent tobacco pouch. The other wives shut it down for safety reasons. Too many guys tripping over tree roots and stepping on their tongues. Shinin' Times.
The question is: Was the buckskin BRAINTAN? If it was, I think we could let it slide. No de-farbing necessary here.

When we get with a group we tend to move towards average for the group also. It may be when she is with other ladies dresses in skirts and dresses she may not feel skirts are out of her question
After all pants are normal wear for women today. So the skirt may feel funny. But when she is in a camp she may be inclined to dress like the other ladies

**Posted in Clothing section as well ** My wife loves shooting the flintlock now. She wants to go to the Rondy's but REFUSES to wear a dress or anything like it. Can she get away with buckskin pants and a primitive shirt, and moccasins of time period and be ok. I have never seen a woman at an event dressed this way. Just asking for consensus and opinions of the group. Basically she wants to get involved and be comfortable in her way, but me not having to get into it with anyone defending my wife. And I am 100 percent positive juried events will be out of question due to most specifically stating what woman can wear.
I think it is great that she wants to join you! Just for historical background: The original rendezvous in the west only saw Native American women attending them, that we can document, other than one instance of two women being at one as they passed though to the coast. They were dressed in eastern dresses and proper clothes. Modern rendezvous events are not exactly representative of the events held out west, so there needs to be some consideration given for women to dress, especially since their only option is to dress like the Native American women, or is full eastern wear as the only two that were at one did.

If you want to attend a juried event, you will want to ask the organization booshway or president about what is allowed for women. Non-juried events, I have seen lots of women wearing buckskin pants and dressed more like a man as they are more comfortable that way.

I have seen many women wear a buckskin dress with buckskin leggings underneath, very proper Native American. She may enjoy that as well. on Facebook look up Patsy Harper or Jean Heinbuch, they are the two definitive experts on women's clothing and really great people.

No matter how she dresses, it is important to keep it as close to historically correct as possible, without going overboard. Things to avoid....fluffy fox tails hanging of the back of her belt, modern boots, sunglasses, watches, etc....these are things I see all the time and turn me off to returning to the event. There has to be some standards.

The idea of bringing your wife and kids, if you have them, is to replicate history, have fun, meet new and like minded people and to RELAX. If you find yourself in an environment that does not allow those things.....find a different event(s).

I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me with questions.

Howsomever
As good as she looks, a lady would likely have had her hair up and powdered white in this time frame.
We do live in the here and now, and her hair style is mor nineteenth century then eighteenth.
But I sport a beard, none of us are perfect

Latest posts

Back