• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you gut your deer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard of people who don't gut their own deer. I've heard of even more people who won't hunt because they don't simply don't know how to do the field care. They went through the course but stop there because they just don't know what to do with a deer once they've got it on the ground. Such a shame, really.

Some things are generational as well. Around here, most of the older generations (boomers) take their field dressed deer to the butcher for processing. The younger crowd (X & millennials) do it all themselves, including making their own sausage.

I did a guided pig hunt several years ago where the guide did all the skinning & quartering. That pig was the only thing I've ever taken to a butcher. They did a good job but the waste was higher and it cost me over $300. I told myself, never again. A deer can take me the better part of a day to get completely cut, ground, wrapped & packed in the freezer. But less is wasted and it cost me next to nothing.

ETipp has no time for you clown. Maybe if you read his response REAL SLOW, it would click that he never said you were doing anything shady. Now, go pull your bottom lip over your head and swallow.
Listen to your nurse Boomer, she knows best......

I hunt public lands.
If it's, a quota hunt, you must check it in before, gutting, removel of head, or sex organs. It's usually in the truck, and checked in, with in 1/2 or less. Then back in the truck and home in less than 1/2 hour.
I will not dress or quarter my kill hog or deer at the check station. There is always a group of know it alls, high dollar show kinda guys, smat a$$e$.
Then I gut rinse it get it cooled off. It hot here in Florida hunting season or not.
If it's after the first nine days I gut it where I find it unless it close to a body of water. I'll stop grad some bags of ice, stuff them in the chest cavity. Get home, skin it, de bone the meat while it's hanging. Rinse off, put it in coolers with water, salt and ice. Next day drain rinse add water and ice and repeat for 2 or 3 days. Can't just let it hang in this heat.
My little deer eat just fine and taste great.
Not sure how this matters, but I'm a Generation Xer or as some say Degeneration X.
I've learned most everything from Boomers, like Ed, and Tom, and I thank them and many more.
I really don't believe it was in a Facetious manner. All this over To Gut or Not to Gut.
I thought us guys in the "Muzzleloadering" Community would talk and share different opinions.

Just Let it Eat!

Take Care Stay Safe
To All.

Fred.

P.S. have at me Grammer Police.

I do everything myself.......

gotta save the heart, liver, and cull fat.

Butcher myself......if in a time pinch, might let a processor grind the front shoulder for burger.

heck my wife even knows how to trim and remove silver skin.

I know what I have, how it was handled, and how quickly I got it cooled. no question marks there !

camo

The younger crowd (X & millennials) do it all themselves, including making their own sausage.

X marks the spot.

Home brewed summer sausage, snack sticks, and jerky.

Screenshot_20240216_185924_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240216_185938_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240216_190106_Gallery.jpg

I do everything myself.......

gotta save the heart, liver, and cull fat.

Butcher myself......if in a time pinch, might let a processor grind the front shoulder for burger.

heck my wife even knows how to trim and remove silver skin.

I know what I have, how it was handled, and how quickly I got it cooled. no question marks there !

camo
hey friend. got a question. how do u cook the heart. tried different ways and it was tuff. but i ate it lol. cooked the liver and dang deer liver is big. lol. took about 3 evening of supper to finish it all. can u cut up the liver and freeze it. oh and deer liver is good catfish bait. thank you for your time

hey friend. got a question. how do u cook the heart. tried different ways and it was tuff. but i ate it lol. cooked the liver and dang deer liver is big. lol. took about 3 evening of supper to finish it all. can u cut up the liver and freeze it. oh and deer liver is good catfish bait. thank you for your time
liver and heart are made into Pate which took me years to perfect.

goes well with cheese and crackers.

I pack in one cup anchor cups, vacu-seal, and freeze for later use.
20231121_143544.jpg

20231121_160400.jpg

little cup and cracker was a test sample before packing. as it cools, the mixture firm's up. the whole mystery I had to figure out.......was how to make it "spreadable" with a knife and of course taste good.

I use a ninja processor to fine chop into mixture that "sets up". also some pork jowl bacon and a little cream cheese added to pull this off !!!

camo

Attachments

• 20231121_194303.jpg
    20231121_194303.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231121_160532.jpg
    20231121_160532.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231121_195337.jpg
    20231121_195337.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

View attachment 295536
View attachment 295537

little cup and cracker was a test sample before packing. as it cools, the mixture firm's up. the whole mystery I had to figure out.......was how to make it "spreadable" with a knife and of course taste good.

I use a ninja processor to fine chop into mixture that "sets up". also some pork jowl bacon and a little cream cheese added to pull this off !!!

camo
snacking at work !!!!
20161220_101332.jpg

camo

Reactions: JL

View attachment 295536
View attachment 295537

camo
hey friend. thanks. if im living when next deer season rolls around. i will be trying this. again thank you for taking time to post this

I like to slice thin across ( 1/4 inch ) then flour and fry hot in crisco or veg oil .Some salt and pepper added to flour.

hey friend. thanks. if im living when next deer season rolls around. i will be trying this. again thank you for taking time to post this
hope you are around for next season!!!!!

if so PM me and I'll try to cut, copy, and paste my recipe & instructions.

think the only thing I've left out of the instructions is.......

I cook the liver......then run it and jowl thru #10 hand crank grinder before doing a final cook.

camo

hope you are around for next season!!!!!

if so PM me and I'll try to cut, copy, and paste my recipe & instructions.

think the only thing I've left out of the instructions is.......

I cook the liver......then run it and jowl thru #10 hand crank grinder before doing a final cook.

camo
ok friend. thank you very much. i got grinders and slicers. will check if i got #10 plate. wishing you and your family the best of life. ttyl

Gut it where it drops. Granddad taught me how to split the pelvis by feeling for the ridge on the underside. He never carried a sheath knife and could do it with only a Case pocket knife. I've done several with a Buck 110 folder but the older the deer the more difficult the split. Skin 'em as soon as possible. The hide comes off easier and the meat cools faster.

Gut it where it drops. Granddad taught me how to split the pelvis by feeling for the ridge on the underside. He never carried a sheath knife and could do it with only a Case pocket knife. I've done several with a Buck 110 folder but the older the deer the more difficult the split. Skin 'em as soon as possible. The hide comes off easier and the meat cools faster.
So you split the pelvis right in the field when you gut? What is the advantage in doing that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back