• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you gut your deer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do it a little different but get the same results. Learned a different way now:)
There is a central seam that runs down the pelvis which you can locate with your finger. After opening the stomach cavity reach inside the pelvis with your finger and feel for a ridge. This is the interior side of the seam. With your knife you can split that seem from the outside with moderate pressure and by spreading the legs wide. The pelvis opens right up and enable access to the rectum.

There is a central seam that runs down the pelvis which you can locate with your finger. After opening the stomach cavity reach inside the pelvis with your finger and feel for a ridge. This is the interior side of the seam. With your knife you can split that seem from the outside with moderate pressure and by spreading the legs wide. The pelvis opens right up and enable access to the rectum.
Will give that a try next fall. Thanks for sharing

Ditto on splitting the pelvis.
Indeed. I carry a smaller folding saw in my pack for cutting the pelvis. I put my feet on the hind legs after I cut it and it pops open even more. Much easier to remove the pee sack that way without breaking it. It appears that deer go through life with a full bladder.

Also much easier to get to the anus and colon, clean that area out, then I most always rinse it out a little from my canteen.

Works for me.

I always gut where it falls and skin as soon as I get it to where I can hang it, gutting is easy, unless you are a poor shot

I do everything myself.......

Butcher myself......if in a time pinch, might let a processor grind the front shoulder for burger.

I know what I have, how it was handled, and how quickly I got it cooled. no question marks there !

camo

Absolutely. Don’t want anyone touching my game animals. The wife and have a system that works like a well oiled machine. I bring the gutted animals home, skin them ASAP, quarter them up and get them in a fridge. From that point she prefers to cuts most of the meat up and vacuum pack it to her specifications. I trim for burger and do the grinding. This system has worked for 30 years now.

For elk, considering there larger size, the system is modified somewhat.

As to field-dressing, for years I carried a Buck Woodsman knife deer hunting. About five years ago I bought this Benchmade and it is the sharpest, handiest little knife I have ever used.

Attachments

• Benchmade.jpg
    Benchmade.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 0
As to field-dressing, for years I carried a Buck Woodsman knife deer hunting. About five years ago I bought this Benchmade and it is the sharpest, handiest little knife I have ever used.
I like your knife. What model is it? A short blade makes it much easier to reach way up inside and cut the wind pipe.

View attachment 295650the best coin ever to be spent on me. My neighbors bought it for me for mowing their yard a summer. help my back while filed dressing. I hunt several properties where access/recovery is easy, so i use this hoist and gut
We drug out the welder and built one of those about 10 years ago. I use it a lot if I'm out by myself. Replaced hip and bad knee, pretty handy in several ways for a half cripple like me. I can get my 78 chevy most places on the farm.

View attachment 295650the best coin ever to be spent on me. My neighbors bought it for me for mowing their yard a summer. help my back while filed dressing. I hunt several properties where access/recovery is easy, so i use this hoist and gut
Looks very handy. Do you gut them in that position? Does everything fit in the ribs? I'm thinking pee sack and rectum as well.

I shoot them, take them down to the barn, hang and gut them in a tub. (don't want the guts on the farm, we get coyotes and they kill the sheep). Then off to the butcher.

Attachments

• pop with deer.jpg
    pop with deer.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231127_095213.jpg
    20231127_095213.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • output_image1708179835109.jpg
    output_image1708179835109.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.