• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fixable or not?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Mulemauler states check thread sizes on Track of The Wolf, then carefully drill & tap to the appropriate size then order new nipple.
I do not recommend pulling the breech plug unless you have the 'proper tools & skills to do so'.
After drilling to obtain a round hole, start with a mild taper tap then finish with a flat bottom tap.
No biggie if you or a friend are handy with tools.
Relic shooter

I agree with Phil, this repair is best done on a milling machine. It looks like whoever tried to fix it, drilled it off center. The breech plug needs pulled so it can be positioned accurately in a vise, hole cut in the original position with a milling bit and tapped as required. Attempting to drill with a drill bit will only enlarge the hole in the already compromised position. A milling bit will go down through with out wanting to walk like a drill bit.

Last edited:
Had my uncle pickup what I think is a .45 senaca . Seller broke the nipple off and then used a hand drill to try and get the base out. I really wanted it for the stock but would be nice if I could fix the nipple hole . Will be a month or so before I can get it picked up . What do you guys think? Thanks. FBC
Yeah , it can be fixed . Dont just chase the threads , it won't be safe . Drill and Tap for a larger nipple/ cone as suggested already or drill larger , tap for a plug .... Then drill and tap that over sized plug for the original sized nipple/ cone . Best of luck ...

let the hate begin............. but yes a mill is the proper way to do this repair most drill presses I've seen had several thousandths of a inch run out my repair would to tig it closed then tap to spec nipples KEEP IT ORIGINAL ! ! then it maintains its value, if you go over size it looses value if I were to purchase another one of these and it had been drilled and taped oversize and I had paid what these typically go for I'd be pi**ed besides they were designed a certain way for a reason.

i'd go for a new plug, but that's just me, and i have the gadetry (around here somewhere) .. absent that, i'd go to a competent gunsmith, of see if Bobby Hoyt is interested in reboring it.

best of luck

I agree with those who say go the new breech plug route. Not that hard to replace one. A strong vice and a big open end wrench are all you need, plus maybe a little filing of the plug face to mate it up. Not hard to do at all.

I agree with those who say go the new breech plug route. Not that hard to replace one. A strong vice and a big open end wrench are all you need, plus maybe a little filing of the plug face to mate it up. Not hard to do at all.
Except for the fact that seneca/cherokee are a odd size and no body makes a new breech plug . Also snail breechs need a special wrench for their removal tc made 3 1 to fit each of the different barrels . Using a crescent wrench is a great way to mar the barrel

I agree with Phil, this repair is best done on a milling machine. It looks like whoever tried to fix it, drilled it off center. The breech plug needs pulled so it can be positioned accurately in a vise, hole cut in the original position with a milling bit and tapped as required. Attempting to drill with a drill bit will only enlarge the hole in the already compromised position. A milling bit will go down through with out wanting to walk like a drill bit.

THIS, 1000 times. No other way to do it right. CARBIDE end mill, pecking carefully. Peel out the old threads if possible and clean up with oversized tap in the same milling setup, turned by hand, so the threads are straight and true.

Back