• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Scout Carbine nipple question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobus

32 Cal
Reaction score
I recently acquired a nice scout carbine, low 4 digit s/n. It was found to be in very good shape after a good cleaning.
Having owned a few scouts before, the gun was familiar to me. What caught me off guard was the style of nipple in it.
it had an early style nipple, ( pic on the bottom, borrowed pic from web), newer style on top.
Did not think anything of it until I reinstalled it in the breech. It looks like it is a good distance from the flash hole in the barrel?(as viewed thru the gas ports in the barrel)
Did some measurements and came up with this…
dimension from end of barrel to bottom of cone in breech = .850
dimension from face of nipple which seats on breech to end of nipple = .650
Is .200 ( 2 tenths) excessive for the fire from the cap to jump?
May it be possible that this is an early gun and someone replaced it with a latter barrel?
A buddy has a spare newer style scout nipple, but maybe a few days until I can get it, for comparison.
Just want make sure this gun is set up right.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0572.jpeg
    IMG_0572.jpeg
    17.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0568.jpeg
    IMG_0568.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0567.jpeg
    IMG_0567.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
So the Scouts are based on the Tingle rifle and pistol. They went through three changes (iirc) two for caps, and a third to take pistol primers. So your breech/nipple is likely the earlier version.

You should be able to find better and more detailed information here at Modern Muzzleloader Forum our sister site, because we don't discuss inlines here on the Traditional Forum.

LD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back