• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hole Through the Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As was mentioned before, remove that barrel and replace it with a new barrel. The old barrel could be cut-up to make candle holders, or pistol barrels. Another option could be to make a canoe gun or a blanket gun, with a very short barrel after you cut the barrel off behind the hole. I did that with an old F.I.E. muzzleloader that was gifted to me. I had the barrel shortened, the muzzle crowned, and a front sight installed. It was cool looking and shot well at a short distance.

Attachments

• 001 FIE 45 caliber muzzle loader as aquired.jpg
    001 FIE 45 caliber muzzle loader as aquired.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 860.jpg
    860.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 0
As was mentioned before, remove that barrel and replace it with a new barrel. The old barrel could be cut-up to make candle holders, or pistol barrels. Another option could be to make a canoe gun or a blanket gun, with a very short barrel after you cut the barrel off behind the hole. I did that with an old F.I.E. muzzleloader that was gifted to me. I had the barrel shortened, the muzzle crowned, and a front sight installed. It was cool looking and shot well at a short distance.
Replace the old barrel? That’s all there was. Just a barrel. Where did or do the rest of the parts come from to install any new barrel in?

How wasteful. I’d just shoot it. Yes, I’d have a gun smith check it out. Too many pearl clutchers these days.

Never ever weld on barrel I cant believe it was even suggested it creates to much heat and weakens the barrel in that area trust me I have witnessed it before and it certainly created a hole when it was fired

The correct plug screw in a hole properly drilled and tapped into a barrel would not be dangerous, though it could become difficult to clean or a rag catcher area in the bore. The real danger in my opinion is to the next genius down the road who removes the screw to reinstall a scope or other sight and maybe uses too long of a screw, creating a bore obstruction for example. Or removes the screw all together for whatever reason creating a high pressure vent on top of the barrel a few inches in front of the shooters face. Not actually ‘dangerous’ unless something easily damaged, say fingers for example, appear over the hole.

Question for you. You are buying a gun and the buyer mentions there are a couple holes from an old scope mounting that go through to the bore of the gun. Do you still pay top dollar for the gun?
That makes sense. I learn something here every day. Thanks.

I will say this thread really will make you look at every ML you consider. Started to carry a tiny 1/8" diameter fish bobber light to shows and such. Works in Un mentionables too. Can also see light coming out thru suspect holes too if you get to right spot. FWIW drill stop sets from 1/8 to 3/8 can be bought for under $2.

You have the results of amateur gun smithing. It will also have a flaw in the bore that plugging won’t help. It would be scrap to me.
Scrap is what it is! Only someone that doesn't know better or a fool would use that barrel.
I only had one in my life come in to my shop where a want-to-be gunsmith drilled through the barrel to mount some type of sight? I ordered another barrel for the rifle. I don't remember much as it was long ago but I do remember the barrel came from Atlanta, Georgia.

Just yesterday was looking a two other UMs with both mis aligned scope holes. One had a one hole went into the lug recess and the other deep into threads. Made me think why dovetails were always the traditional method of attachment on MLs. The use of swaged dovetails to decrease depth seems to make more sense every day now.

Latest posts

Back