• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hole Through the Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If a hole in the barrel was a problem, we couldn't have flintlock. After all, what is a touch hole? But if your conscience doesn't let you calm down, make a short rifle or two pistols. Both will be fun.
Ultimately is less that I'm worried about shooting it (even less so from some of the comments), but I really don't need it, and don't want to sell it with something that even has a small potential of being unsafe.

A friend of mine has offered to take if off my hands for a "project". I'm not sure what he has in mind, but I'm sure it will be interesting :)

smarter men than I can calculate the pressure needed to blow that screw out. my inclination is that if the plug is threaded from surface to bore, it will hold just fine.
we drill relatively huge holes in the side of the barrel for vents, drums etc. without batting an eye.
the pressures are contained even whit the relatively few threads of the large drum. strength is dependent a lot on type of material and pitch of threads. those plug screws are generally whitworth threads, giving many teeth in a close length. = strength.
optically it sucks having that hole but not deadly. JM.002$

Hard to believe someone would drill holes in a barrel without setting a depth stop either on the drill press travel or drill bit to limit the depth of the hole for the desired screws length. Even just the drill bit itself can be set with one of the little doughnut shaped stops that lock on with a set screw to prevent drilling too deep into the bore.

Last edited:
Hard to believe someone would drill holes in a barrel without setting a depth stop either on the drill press travel or drill bit to limit the depth of the hole for the desired screws length. Even just the drill bit itself can be set with one of the little doughnut shaped stops that lock on with a set screw to prevent drilling too deep into the bore.
I always thought that also. then the stop on my press slipped while i was daydreaming. nice little hole through the under rib and peeking through the bore of a nice colrain barrel. turned the 42 inch barrel into a 36 inch. stuff happens.
may have been a blessing in disguise. that little cherry stocked rifle stacks them on top of each other. especially when someone else is shooting it. gave it to the wife. Have had 3 offers for it(the rifle, not the wife) i have had to turn down.

There are a lot of old single barrel shotguns out there where the front bead in drilled through the barrel, I've never seen one that was damaged in any way. I would be a little concerned about any ragged edges on the inside if bullets were shot out of it.
Shotgun loads are different than a PRB and ft sight is close to muzzle. OP's hole is right a Rear Sight area where pressure is a concern. Even then seem an area for snags and fouling buildup.

Seen several over the years. Both ML and CF's. Most from amateur scope mounting on milsurp bolt jobs. Worst was oversize and off center right thru ring and right into lower chamber wall.

Seen several over the years. Both ML and CF's. Most from amateur scope mounting on milsurp bolt jobs. Worst was oversize and off center right thru ring and right into lower chamber wall.
can't say how many Mauser 98's i have worked on that mirror that!
" mounted this scope and now i can't extract the case!??"

I’m really not sure I see a problem with a plugged threaded hole in a barrel.
A) The chamber end is threaded and plugged.
B) The percussion nipples are threaded and screwed into the barrel.
C)Percussion drums are threaded and screwed into the barrel.
D) Many flint guns have touch holes threaded and screwed in.
None of these seem to be of concern.

can't say how many Mauser 98's i have worked on that mirror that!
" mounted this scope and now i can't extract the case!??"
The ‘creative’ crowd can custom mount scopes without drilling and tapping any holes into the receiver or barrel.
1710536513417.jpeg

Latest posts

Back