• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hole Through the Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If one wishes to have a scope due to eyesight then the clamps that fit an octagonal barrel work well enough.

Shotgun loads are different than a PRB and ft sight is close to muzzle. OP's hole is right a Rear Sight area where pressure is a concern. Even then seem an area for snags and fouling buildup.
Correct pressure decreases as it gets near the end of the muzzle, but my point was more about the pressure of a PB load and a modern shotgun load, both are very low by today's standards. I'm confident that a well place plug would be more than strong enough to hold the pressure. But you would still have to check the bore for damage on the interior.

Correct pressure decreases as it gets near the end of the muzzle, but my point was more about the pressure of a PB load and a modern shotgun load, both are very low by today's standards. I'm confident that a well place plug would be more than strong enough to hold the pressure. But you would still have to check the bore for damage on the interior.
How about lead build up going in and out plus patch tears????

Never ever weld on barrel I cant believe it was even suggested it creates to much heat and weakens the barrel in that area trust me I have witnessed it before and it certainly created a hole when it was fired

You are absolutely right, the HAZ around the weld would weaken the barrel to the point of a catastrophic failure.
I was given a rifle with the same problem a through drilled hole. I removed the breech plug, drove a lead slug into the bore and stopped over the hole, ran a plug screw in finger tight with permanent Loctite Red then filed the screw flat. Of course after the Loctite set up I drove the lead plug back out and polished the bore with tight fitting Scotch Brite pads.
My brother and I shot thousands of patched round balls through that barrel without any problems and he gave it to my nephew and last I heard it was still going strong.
Never ever weld on barrel

Last edited:
Fortunately I didn’t pay a whole lot for it. I’ll consider it tuition for my continuing education :)

I’ll probably cut the end off and use it for a teaching tool to demonstrate rifling.
I’m just that no one was hurt by being equally as naive as I was. It’s a good lesson in diligence for future purchases and sales.
I never thought to inspect for through holes I will be more diligent but, buying at auction you really cant tell. I think you really have to have a competent, honest seller someone you an trust has done their due diligence on their product

Were the holes drilled by TC or a home gunsmith?
If TC did it I would see what TC would do to fix the problem.
I would even offer splitting the cost just to get the firearm functional again.
You do realize t/c doesn’t exist anymore, right?

I'm not ballistics expert, so don't take this wrong. I'd really like to know how it is dangerous. How his it different from a flash hole in a flinter? Or maybe dangerous because the screws might become missles if they might fly out when the gun is fired? If the screws were short enough not to extend into the bore and he screwed them in tight with Locktite, would it then be safe? It seems to me that guns work without exploding because the open muzzle end gives the pressure a place to get out. Would that muzzle "vent" not continue to function like that, you know, the path of least resistance?

I'm not ballistics expert, so don't take this wrong. I'd really like to know how it is dangerous. How his it different from a flash hole in a flinter? Or maybe dangerous because the screws might become missles if they might fly out when the gun is fired? If the screws were short enough not to extend into the bore and he screwed them in tight with Locktite, would it then be safe? It seems to me that guns work without exploding because the open muzzle end gives the pressure a place to get out. Would that muzzle "vent" not continue to function like that, you know, the path of least resistance?
The correct plug screw in a hole properly drilled and tapped into a barrel would not be dangerous, though it could become difficult to clean or a rag catcher area in the bore. The real danger in my opinion is to the next genius down the road who removes the screw to reinstall a scope or other sight and maybe uses too long of a screw, creating a bore obstruction for example. Or removes the screw all together for whatever reason creating a high pressure vent on top of the barrel a few inches in front of the shooters face. Not actually ‘dangerous’ unless something easily damaged, say fingers for example, appear over the hole.

Question for you. You are buying a gun and the buyer mentions there are a couple holes from an old scope mounting that go through to the bore of the gun. Do you still pay top dollar for the gun?

QUOTE="Splitear, post: 2579055, member: 48727"]
I bought this TC .50 cal barrel at auction last month, and since I didn’t need it, I sold it to a fellow member of the forum. When he received the barrel, he asked me to call him and he explained that upon taking out the sight screws on the top of the barrel, the “extra” hole went through, into the bore.

I never even thought to take the screws out of the barrel, just thinking they were fillers for where the rear sight used to be. I’m thankful that the buyer checked before he shot it.

My question is, is this just someone’s “oops”? Is the barrel safe to shoot with the filler screw in the hole (I lean towards no). I’m really not sure what to do with the darned thing now.

The buyer was refunded by the way :)
[/QUOTE]
... Wow !! What a waste of a barrel ! Glad you got your $ back !

Latest posts

Back