• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hole Through the Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought this TC .50 cal barrel at auction last month, and since I didn’t need it, I sold it to a fellow member of the forum. When he received the barrel, he asked me to call him and he explained that upon taking out the sight screws on the top of the barrel, the “extra” hole went through, into the bore.

I never even thought to take the screws out of the barrel, just thinking they were fillers for where the rear sight used to be. I’m thankful that the buyer checked before he shot it.

My question is, is this just someone’s “oops”? Is the barrel safe to shoot with the filler screw in the hole (I lean towards no). I’m really not sure what to do with the darned thing now.

The buyer was refunded by the way :)

Attachments

• IMG_5574.jpeg
    IMG_5574.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5573.jpeg
    IMG_5573.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5572.jpeg
    IMG_5572.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I bought this TC .50 cal barrel at auction last month, and since I didn’t need it, I sold it to a fellow member of the forum. When he received the barrel, he asked me to call him and he explained that upon taking out the sight screws on the top of the barrel, the “extra” hole went through, into the bore.

I never even thought to take the screws out of the barrel, just thinking they were fillers for where the rear sight used to be. I’m thankful that the buyer checked before he shot it.

My question is, is this just someone’s “oops”? Is the barrel safe to shoot with the filler screw in the hole (I lean towards no). I’m really not sure what to do with the darned thing now.

With a properly tapped hole and a plug screw installed, likely not dangerous, and I imagine there are other guns out there with the same ‘feature’, some that are shot on a regular basis without incident. Still not desirable and something most folks avoid nor want to shoot.

Fortunately I didn’t pay a whole lot for it. I’ll consider it tuition for my continuing education :)

I’ll probably cut the end off and use it for a teaching tool to demonstrate rifling.
weld it up then rebore it to a 54, 56 smooth bore is where I'd go with welding won't effect either of these options

Heck take em out and they will act like a touchhole pressure relief valve. Be a fun pic to take. Your face is not over the holes as they are in front of the hammer. Why are we worried about the barrel blowing up? The holes release pressure not increase it...

I always try to err on the side of caution when dealing with anything. I would never try to shoot it.

In my most unprofessional opinion, I might consider just spot welding it closed.

I would put the screw in it and cut it below flush and weld from there
The repair you mentioned would be a good one.
I don’t think there would be a safety issue, but the edges of the hole in the bore could be a patch-cutter.

Latest posts

Back