• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to me rifles - questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2bp

40 Cal
Reaction score
What a wonderful muzzle loading month for me. Scored a second CVA in .50 (a Bobcat) to go with my .54 (a Lynx), then started wondering what I was gonna do.

Friend of a friend heard about my mutterings, and offered me a VERY generous offer. So off went the two CVAs, and the big brown truck of happiness just left...

So... New muzzle loaders in the house.

1 - TC White Mountain Carbine in .50. Serial 66xxx, so I'm guessing "later" production so 1:38 twist?

2 - TC New Englander, drilled out and relined by Mr Hoyt. Need to find out more about this one, guy I got it from says he recalls it being slightly tighter than .45 and a very fast 1:19 or 1:20 twist but he had the work done, got the rifle back and then never shot it.

Neither of my nipple wrenches fit either rifle well, one is too long and the hammer interferes with getting it on, the other is a very tight fit and doesn't really let me turn the wrench much. Suggestion on replacement nipple wrench appreciated.

Neither rifle had ram rods. I've got a good solid brass range rod to use around here somewhere (my office/gun room is an absolute mess) so I can shoot this weekend but I need replacements. I know the WMC uses a just-under 22" rod, what length is needed for the New Englander? I believe both use 3/8" diameter....

Need to pick up .50 and .45 loading jags and such - the .54 stuff went with the rifle and I only owned the .50 for a few days before selling it off....

Any other tools I need? My old CVAs had those darn threaded together and drilled together breech plugs and drums so I never bothered with a breech plug wrench or trying to remove them.

The WMC could have 1 in 20, 1 in 28, or 1 in 38 twist. The serial # on mine is a shade under 40,000 & it is 1 in 20.

So called Mr Hoyt today and got lucky enough for him to answer the phone.

Didn't expect him to remember this job, etc. but just wanted a general hint of what "slgihtly tighter than .45" would mean... and while he's unsure, he'd bet only a thou or two under.

Latest posts

Back