• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first C&B

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been shooting muzzleloaders for years. Building them now but never delt with cap and ball revolvers. Just need an opinion. Will do lots of shooting. Not looking for HC. Just for fun target for myself. What would be a reliable off the shelf, with as little tinkering as possible to get shooting right, first CB. .36 or above. Thanks

Pretty much any of the replicas available new will work for you. There used to be a significant difference between Uberti and Pietta (with Uberti on top) but Pietta had stepped up their quality in the past ten years and is pretty much equal now. I prefer the remington model for overall durability but the Colt does have a more natural "point" to it. Get the steel frame for long term durability.

I Like 1858 myself. MANY good deals used on gunbroker type sites or new reasonably priced at cabelas etc. Also suggest adj sites since yer not H/C type guy. If you can afford a Ruger Old Army (ROA) is hard to beat.

Smaller calibers like the 36 shoot great and are cheap too! Have fun :grin:

1. Ruger Old Army
2. 1851 clone from Pietta or Ubertti
3. 1858 clone from either company

If you get an older pistol get an Ubertti. If you are getting a new pistol then either company is good to go.

I have a number of Piettas in both Colt and Remington design most from Cabelas. All are a load of fun. Brass framed ones are ok for plinking but if you want the experience of full powder loads go with the steel framed guns.

Don

sean30ber said:
Been shooting muzzleloaders for years. Building them now but never delt with cap and ball revolvers. Just need an opinion. Will do lots of shooting. Not looking for HC. Just for fun target for myself. What would be a reliable off the shelf, with as little tinkering as possible to get shooting right, first CB. .36 or above. Thanks

Your Colt reproductions will shoot high and need a taller front sight if you want to plink and shoot with the sights.

The Remingtons will shoot low, you can file the sight down to get the sights on target.

The Colts generally speaking fit and point more naturally, the Remingtons are more robust and have better sights.

You cannot go wrong with a Pietta Remington Belt or Police revolver as they are called in .36 caliber. If you want to ring steel though, get the .44 caliber model. It does so with more authority!

Remington New Model Army, the gun of choice of the people who actually had to make it after the US Civil War.

Not having shot the different cal BP revolvers is there a preference between .36 and .44, or is it just personal. Im looking at the Pietta 1858 New Army. They have it in .36 and 44 in the 5.5 inch barrel.

Gonna sound like a silly answer but, yes, one's bigger than the other.

I understand that :haha: . I was thinking more of what is a preference for fun shooting. Its not like Im going to carry it on duty. Guess I should have phrased that better :surrender: . With a good load how does the 44 kick. Is it something you only fire a cylinder through and then its uncomfortable or is it easy on the wrist. On duty my department issues .40 but I carry my personal 45. I prefer the push to the snap. Guess im asking is the 44 an all day gun.

Seems like ole' Wild Bill choose Colt 1851's over the Remington's and he seemed to 'make it'. :grin:

Sean30ber
For most folks, the choice of caliber is just a personal thing.

The .44's definitely make a bigger boom and the cost of the powder and ball is about the same as for the .36 so most folks choose the .44.

Neither one of them kicks hard enough to make much difference and they are both fun to shoot. :)

There is a difference in power but I'd say they are sorta immaterial for most casual shooting. The Remington style is popular as a solid-framed design that's with us to this day. The later Colt's have an early Art Deco line to them that is graceful. The secret, terrible, truth is...

...you'll own a few eventually. In the meantime, try handling a few and pick one. I find the larger frame/caliber guns more comfy in my mansized hands than pinkying the little .36. Then again an 1861 Navy was my first revolver and I love(d) it.

Roger that. Im headed to Cabelas first thing in the AM. Ill go by feel. Like i said its for fun so I wont think to much into it. If it feels good ill pick it up. Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of them are good fun. I started with the 58 Remington and like it, but it takes a lot to cock it, almost a two thumb deal. I recently got one of the 1860 Colt replicas and it has become my favorite. Cocks easily and feels more natural. They shoot high, I was told this is like the originals. That the cavalry was told to aim at belt buckles. Don't know if that's true or not, but it made a good story! Have fun, you will enjoy it.

I talked with the gun counter guy and he told me to come in and see him in the am and Ill get the sale price with the free starter set on any of the 58s. He said they have 25 different revolvers in stock so should make for a fun morning. Ill play with a bunch.

I like a .44 for 1 reason. It makes a bigger wound channel than a .36
I live out in the forest and I never know when I might be called on by mother nature to take care of business. This winter it was a starving maimed cougar in my garage. I was happy that I was armed with the .44 instead of the .36

Wish they made a .50 BP revolver, that would be spiffy.

If you are comfortable with a .40 and .45 you will have no problem with the .44 its just a push.

besides why get a .36 when you can get a .44, bigger is always better right?

All the above is great information. I'm the odd guy out, much prefer the feel of the Colt M.1860 grip to any of the Remingtons...just my thing, I guess. The .36 Navy in either '51 or '61 version is a good fit unless you have large hands, and it all boil down to what kind of shooting you intend to do. If it's paper and enraged Coors cans, either is fine. If you ever intend to try it out on critters, the .44 might be the better choice. IF you intend to do a 'lot' of shooting, the steel frame recommendation is a good one and particularly so if you might go full power loads for any reason. Most of all, remember to have fun! :thumbsup:

Back