• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Not toys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who said they were toys? Or is that a new statement that is being made for benefit of safety. I have never known any forum member to refer to a muzzle loader as a toy. Well until you stated the word toy.
I should have added that a Kibler with a very large and clear stamped barrel "This Is Not A Toy" would not be to my liking.
Just go to the top right corner of this page tap search, type in "new toy", then check the box "Search titles only".
Looks to me like 3 pages.

Damn right, look at the numbers of those who perished during the civil war. Definitely not toys but I too have seen how people look at you when your at the range with one, like 'what is THAT old obsolete thing?' until you take a shot and they go 'DAMN' yeah may be an old design but still doesn't make it a 'joke'👍 and then they usually want to shoot it!! Hahaha ya know, because they're AWESOME!!!!😁
Never had anything but respect for the Walker when she spoke at the range and comments like "damn" what's that guy shooting ? The Walkers have their own sound just like a Harley motor cycle.
I doubt it would ever be confused with a toy !

If a person is careless with modern guns they’ll probably treat BP firearms the same way.
I agree with this - and know a person who takes it a step further. This guy has no clue of the power of any kind of firearm.

Myself and a couple of others plus 'this guy' were shooting a .45 Colt revolver at a paper target on a piece of 1/4" plywood stuck in a packed hard, frozen snowbank left from plowing his driveway. The next summer we were BSing and he commented on how weak that .45 was. "Man, I'd let you guys shoot me in the chest with that thing all day!" We were like - what? Turned out when he found the nice neat pile of spent bullets laying on the grass where the snowbank used to be, he immediately thought the plywood had stopped them!!

With that in mind - he places traditional muzzle loading firearms even less powerful.

Definitely not toys.. They represent the cutting edge of technology of their time and are the base of the evolution of firearms today. I don't need to remind most of you that we represent a "living link" to those days when black powder was just gunpowder and are responsible for passing on the "wonder" of it all... Replica or original they were once New technology.
Paraphrasing someone from back in the 60's who wrote about his .58 cal Rifle Musket.. "It hits like the side of an axe swung by a 7 foot Swede" I find shooting any muzzleloader to be communing with my ancestors and respect the technology no matter how dated.
Fair Winds to all

IMG_0738.gif

IMG_0739.gif

Not sure your point. I can only fire mine at a state range, with range officers eyeballing my every move. What are these toys you speak of?
If an 'old timer' both in age, 76 and in C&B hand gunning, almost 50 years, can stick his nose into this conversation. I think the reason C&B revolvers are not taken seriously is because many states do not consider the to be firearms, but only dangerous weapons, along with knives, clubs and such. Since many states do not regulate or control the sale of C&B revolvers, some people, seriously stupid people, equate them as GASP! toys. as stupid as the idea is. As stated on this forum, before, I sometimes carry a C&B revolver for self-defense and do not feel in the least, under armed.

I’ve killed a (extra) duck lighting in front if the blind with a plastic wad. She was right next to the drake I powdered. Hit it square in the head and knocked it cold. Came too in the blind after a ride in the dog’s mouth.

As stated on this forum, before, I sometimes carry a C&B revolver for self-defense and do not feel in the least, under armed.
Actually you are doing a very much dishonor to the muzzle loading community by carrying a cap and ball revolver for self defense. It might have you feeling like WBH but the reality is if you did use it, even for legal purpose for defense the outcome would be poor recognition for antique firearms. And just might change their status of being antique by your showing its use. Use modern guns for modern defense.

Actually you are doing a very much dishonor to the muzzle loading community by carrying a cap and ball revolver for self defense. It might have you feeling like WBH but the reality is if you did use it, even for legal purpose for defense the outcome would be poor recognition for antique firearms. And just might change their status of being antique by your showing its use. Use modern guns for modern defense.
Agree. Give gun grabbers an inch...

I totally understand the reference to firearms as "toys". Many of the young soldiers that I served with in the mid to late 70s had no exposure to firearms until they joined the Army. They had no concept of firearms safety other than what they had been taught during Basic/AIT. Most of them were city kids, no notion of safety.

Reactions: GBG
I would think it all depends just how serious some "boys" take their shooting at times. Toys are recreational aren't they?

Not a toy. Never thought of them as such. I hope people don’t treat them that way.
People who are used to the big bore, loud, powerful, magnum unmentionables and stat shooting C&B guns are the ones i am speaking to.
If a .36 Navy is compared to a .454 Casull the Navy would seem like a toy gun. That is who i am talking to. The four rules still apply.
Experienced BP shooters,the ones that smell like sulfur and Ballistol, they already know it is not a toy.
Bunk

I would think it all depends just how serious some "boys" take their shooting at times. Toys are recreational aren't they?
Sorry Pardner no matter what the C&B is used for hunting, target, can chasing, or just for the h7!! of it they are not toys. The four rules still apply.
Bunk

I had just come home from the range a couple weeks ago. My daughter and her BF were in town at the house. Not kids, he is recently retired 30 years Army career Major. I was hauling in my iron, he asked me “ever shot a magazine from an AR15?”.
I replied “ever shot 6 from a 51 Navy .36 that produced so much smoke the AR15 guys couldn’t see the target?”.
He had no reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back