• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First Cap and Ball Revolver Recommendations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First Black Powder Revolver

• Total voters
I agree with an earlier post…If within your budget go with a Ruger Old Army (ROA). None of the problems associated with the Italian replicas.
Normally I'm a huge fan of anything Ruger but that gun is probably a bit much for the first go round.

Normally I'm a huge fan of anything Ruger but that gun is probably a bit much for the first go round.
Well a ROA might be a bit pricey for lots of people but if he wants to avoid the disappointment of having a gun not properly sorted out by the factory and isn't himself a "tinkerer" then I think a ROA makes a lot of sense. Getting a replica that is a lemon could turn one off to BP revolvers in general...Not gonna happen with a ROA.

Wish I could handle a few to try, nobody around here stocks this stuff.
Do you mean black powder firearms are not that prevalent in Arizona ? I was hoping the next time I drive through the state, I might stop at a gun store and buy a few things. Are you saying that is probably not possible ?

Do you mean black powder firearms are not that prevalent in Arizona ? I was hoping the next time I drive through the state, I might stop at a gun store and buy a few things. Are you saying that is probably not possible ?
Not saying that at all. I live in Yuma, not Phoenix. Depending on where you are passing through maybe, but you would likely have to hunt for BP revolvers. I am not aware of a store that regularly stocks any variety of this stuff but could be somewhere out of plain view.

I don’t have any experience with Uberti, but everyone says they are superior to Pietta. I have a Pietta 1861 Navy that I really enjoy and find it to be a well-crafted firearm. It has an 8” barrel (which is longer than the originals, I believe) but find that it really seems to balance well in the hand. I also bought it from Midway and had a good transaction. I’m not sure there are many places that would allow you to return any firearm. I’m a fan of the 36 caliber. I have considered getting a Remington clone so that I could try the easier swapping of the cylinder for center-fire cartriges, but have not pulled the trigger on one yet. Enjoy the hunt!

View attachment 196475
Taylor & Company and Dixie definitely allow returns according to their websites. Midway is a like a drug dealer, just a middleman. Don't get me wrong nothing against Midway USA, I shop there a lot. Just cautious about something like this where the product can be such a crapshoot!

Thanks
Not saying that at all. I live in Yuma, not Phoenix. Depending on where you are passing through maybe, but you would likely have to hunt for BP revolvers. I am not aware of a store that regularly stocks any variety of this stuff but could be somewhere out of plain view.

I don’t have any experience with Uberti, but everyone says they are superior to Pietta. I have a Pietta 1861 Navy that I really enjoy and find it to be a well-crafted firearm. It has an 8” barrel (which is longer than the originals, I believe) but find that it really seems to balance well in the hand. I also bought it from Midway and had a good transaction. I’m not sure there are many places that would allow you to return any firearm. I’m a fan of the 36 caliber. I have considered getting a Remington clone so that I could try the easier swapping of the cylinder for center-fire cartriges, but have not pulled the trigger on one yet. Enjoy the hunt!

View attachment 196475

Going to 38sp conversions brings a lot of baggage with it. 45C is a straight forward setup.

Mike

What kind of baggage?

36 cal = .375 bore
38sp = .357 bullet.
= reload only ( or barrel linner, or heeled bullets with special loading dies . . . but hey, some folks go for that kind of stuff)

.44 cal = .452 bore
45C = .452 bullet
= 45C factory offerings
For this reason, all my revolvers are .44's ( or .45C , whichever way you want to look at it)
Mike

Last edited:
36 cal = .375 bore
38sp = .357 bullet.
= reload only ( or barrel linner, or heeled bullets with special loading dies . . . but hey, some folks go for that kind of stuff)

.44 cal = .452 bore
45C = .452 bullet
= 45C factory offerings
For this reason, all my revolvers are .44's ( or .45C , whichever way you want to look at it)
Mike
Thanks! I guess I need to add a 44 to my collection.

In the end you need to pick what gun you like best. But I will give you my opinion. I would handle a Remington before I purchase one. I didn't and I regret it. I hate my Pietta 1858 NMA Remington. I know others like theirs.

I don't think you can go wrong with a 1851 Navy I have a Pietta and an Uberti and like both but I'd lean toward the Uberti, mine is a London model and I live it.
If you are looking for a .44 I would look at the 1860 Army a very well balanced gun. In either Uberti or Pietta.

But the best handling black powder pistol in my opinion is the 1861 Navy by Uberti. It just feels so good in the hand. The Pietta has an 8.5inch barrel so I couldn’t go that route.

Like I said just my opinion.

I’ve sent back a cap and ball revolver that I purchased through MidwayUSA.

I bought a Uberti 1862 Police last summer from Midway. The frame cracked on the third or fourth cylinder I fired (one of the mating nipples on the bottom of the frame that mates to the corresponding recesses in the barrel assembly sheared off).

I contacted Stoeger and they sent me a return label. Fast forward from August last year to last week, Stoeger sent me a new Uberti 1862 Police.

Aside from the long wait, it was a pretty simple process.

On a side note, the replacement gun shoots fantastic!

Narrowing it down a bit. I think the top 3 at this point are the Uberti 1862 Navy 7.5, 1851 Navy 7.5", and 1862 Pocket Police 6.5" in no particular order.

Whatever revolver you go with, a 5.5" barrel will give you around 200 fps less velocity with equal loads than a 7.5" or 8" barrel. That is a fact that I have ascertained over decades, determined by shooting many revolvers over different chronographs. That may not be a deal breaker for you, but it is something good to know. Using more energetic powders (777 for example) can make a 5.5" barrel shoot the same velocity as a longer barrel loaded with Goex (the weakest powder commonly available). But using a stronger powder will also give a corresponding advantage in the longer barrels. Just sharing my experiences, Pastor B. Stay away from Pocket Models, unless you really like cap jams. Yes, you can make them more reliable, but as expensive as they are nowadays, they should work properly right out of the box.

Wish I could handle a few to try, nobody around here stocks this stuff.

One thing you should be aware of, it may not make a difference with you, but there is a difference between the size of the grips between the Navy based frame revolvers and the Army based. Both models have the same size receivers, but starting with the 1860 Army, Colt lengthened the grip frame. When gripping the revolver, most shooters place their little finger under the Navy model grip (sort of curl it under), some feel comfortable with the grip. When Colt introduced their 1873 top frame revolver, 'the Peacemaker', they went with the Navy size grip. Some say as the revolver recoils, the finger under the grip helps with the recoil as the revolver flips up and rocks in the hand. The Army size grip allows a shooter to have a full grip with all four fingers around the grip.

Some shooters with small hands like the Navy style, while shooters with large hands say they like the Army size. Some shooters mix it around, some with large say they like the Navy better, some with small say they like the Army grip. Boils down to whatever you feel comfortable with. I don't have really large hands (wear a large size glove) but prefer the Army over the Navy. Like the full grip of the Army, although I can tolerate the Navy size. I've even traded a Navy size grip frame and grips with another shooter who had a revolver with Army but preferred the Navy.

My days of being a police officer I carried revolvers (double action) with full grips, got used to that and feel more at home with them, although I shot and had Navy size percussion revolvers before wearing a badge. Heat-if you know someone who has a Colt Peacemaker model or any of the similar type brand single action revolvers, handle one of those to see if you like, they will be of the Navy size grip. Shooting both the Navy and Army models is really the best way. Possibly you know or could contact some percussion shooter who has both model size grips. May not make a difference to you but thought I'd toss it into the fray. Of the guns you listed, they are all Navy models, you didn't list the Colt Army, which is a 44 caliber, great shooters. The Pietta Sheriff models are basically nothing but 1860 Colt Army models (44) or 1851/1861 Navies with shorter barrel's vs the normal 7.5-8" standard. FWIW the Walker and Dragoons have large full size grips.

Last edited:
Whatever revolver you go with, a 5.5" barrel will give you around 200 fps less velocity with equal loads than a 7.5" or 8" barrel. That is a fact that I have ascertained over decades, determined by shooting many revolvers over different chronographs. That may not be a deal breaker for you, but it is something good to know. Using more energetic powders (777 for example) can make a 5.5" barrel shoot the same velocity as a longer barrel loaded with Goex (the weakest powder commonly available). But using a stronger powder will also give a corresponding advantage in the longer barrels. Just sharing my experiences, Pastor B. Stay away from Pocket Models, unless you really like cap jams. Yes, you can make them more reliable, but as expensive as they are nowadays, they should work properly right out of the box.
Thanks for the advice on the pocket models. I thought I had read that somewhere before but wasn't sure. Nice to know beforehand. The barrel advice makes sense too, didn't realize it was to that degree with revolvers. With typical rifle lengths, I've heard its around 17 fps per inch but I have never chrono'ed anything in my life.

"Some shooters with small hands like the Navy style, while shooters with large hands say they like the Army size. Some shooters mix it around, some with large say they like the Navy better, some with small say they like the Army grip. Boils down to whatever you feel comfortable with. I don't have really large hands (wear a large size glove) but prefer the Army over the Navy. Like the full grip of the Army, although I can tolerate the Navy size. I've even traded a Navy size grip frame and grips with another shooter who had a revolver with Army but preferred the Navy."

Tried on an Uberti 1873 Single action in the store yesterday that I believe had grips similar to the Navy grips. Felt really good. I have a medium sized hand. Wear a Large glove typically. Not tiny but definitely not some big ol bear paws either.

Back