• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Not toys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had just come home from the range a couple weeks ago. My daughter and her BF were in town at the house. Not kids, he is recently retired 30 years Army career Major. I was hauling in my iron, he asked me “ever shot a magazine from an AR15?”.
I replied “ever shot 6 from a 51 Navy .36 that produced so much smoke the AR15 guys couldn’t see the target?”.
He had no reply.
next time take that evil gun and hook your thumb in a belt loop, pull forward, squeeze the trigger and dump 30 before he can blink.

My wife does refer to them as my toys...🙄

I was showing a French coworker videos of my mortar tonight at dinner. Also not a toy..:cool:

The OP states the questionable supposition that BP firearms are generally treated less safely than modern firearms. If a person is careless with modern guns they’ll probably treat BP firearms the same way. I’ve never seen anyone who is careful with modern guns but is careless with a BP piece. The consciousness seems to be readily transferable for most people, even new shooters. A person who is sloppy with one type will probably be careless with both. I’ve never met anyone who considered BP firearms to be toys who did not treat all guns as playthings.
[/QUOTE
Gotta agree with this, even though it bums me out

Let's not refer to Cap N Ball revolvers, or any firearms we enjoy, as Weapons of War. Because they very clearly are not.
This drives me nuts! All the jackholes calling TOOLS, weapons is just plain ignorant. I AM THE WEAPON, not an inanimate object. I can use lots of things to bring harm to people, but I don't. I don't know what the root cause is, but I wish people would cut it out, they're helping the psychos cause

I somehow think in some locations, you would be better off in a justified self defense scenario in front of a jury of old ladies by having used a old time “ cowboy “ pistol than the latest laser sighted unmentionable paramilitary evil looking killing machine…..

toy
toi

noun​

1. An object for a child to play with.
  2. Something that provides amusement.
  3. A small ornament; a bauble.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

Just sayin'.

‘Weapon of war’… really?
I’m sure they’re fighting in Europe with the colt 1862 police assault pistol!
Why are you using their made up propagandized definitions?

I would not play up the lethality of front loading firearms, or pretty soon those on the left who haven’t already done so will catch on, and there goes our access. Please, keep it to yourself and not in writing on the internet. Just sayin.
We’ve already seen what videos on YouTube do…. Look at the CRS Firearms case.

I am guilty of referring to my guns as "my toys". i have been known to refer to my bride as my toy also. all are deadly if handled wrong.
I never call my guns toys, but if'n you was to ask me where I'm headed I might tell you that I'm off to play with my guns. I play with lots of things that are not toys. That don't mean I'm reckless. Hell, I'm s'posed to be playing with a lawnmower right now but I'm playing with a computer instead. And not playing that on websites where I'm s'posed to neither. Better get back to focused play. Later.

The purpose of BP firearms is to have a really good time but the watchword is -

“Homie don’t play.”

Have a passion for fire arms, guitars, cars and women but all can be tricky and I never under estimate or miss handle any of them.

The “New People” aren’t really a problem with regards to safety….(speaking from my days as a firearms instructor) I’ve seen far too many “Old Salts” that think they are some how immune. “ Look here sonny, I’ve been shootin’ guns for 150 years, don’t tell me…” But I hear what you are saying. It’s also why I prefer to be out in the sticks on my own or with people I know and trust, and not on a range.

The “New People” aren’t really a problem with regards to safety….(speaking from my days as a firearms instructor) I’ve seen far too many “Old Salts” that think they are some how immune. “ Look here sonny, I’ve been shootin’ guns for 150 years, don’t tell me…” But I hear what you are saying. It’s also why I prefer to be out in the sticks on my own or with people I know and trust, and not on a range.
A gun/firearm, be it cartridge or BP has a nasty habit of teaching to respect it when you get careless. Have gnarly scar down my leg from getting a little too casual with my 1911. Carried it on half cock, safety off and in a pocket. Was getting out of my truck, somehow the hammer spur got snagged in the upholstery, Heard a very loud BANG! Then a terrible burning feeling down my leg. then something wet running down my leg soaking my trouser leg. It was my own blood. The bullet exited just above my knee, missing the femoral artery by 1/4 inch and not taking my knee joint out with its exit. Never carry the 1911 in my pants pocket, never carry it on half cock. At the time, I had been handling and using firearm for about 40 years without a mishap. Just goes to show, even 'old hands' with firearms are never too old to learn good firearm manners.

In my experience most folks that were taught by their red neck friends and parents are completely clueless about actual gun safety. I know I certainly was. the above story is a perfect example of a life long shooter being clueless. The only safe way to carry a 19ll with one up is cocked, locked , safety on in a holster that covers the trigger and secures the weapon. You won't learn this stuff from your buddys driving around drinking beers and shooting road signs.
I did not grasp real muzzle control and over all safety until I started shooting IPSC. Apparently the police academy is not much good for teaching safety either. If I had a dime for every time I have been swept by a cop or a gun store employe I would be a rich man. Getting DQ'd and sent home with your tail between your legs for a muzzle violation , an AD, moving outside the shooting box with finger through the trigger etc. etc. teaches you really quick. Especially when it forfeits your $250.00 entrance fee. There are no warnings, no exceptions. they just tap you on the shoulder and send you home. You could appeal for $100.00 but if you lost they kept your $100.00 No one ever won an appeal that I was aware of. NMLR range rules are a pathetic joke. If I was the RO I would shut the whole range down . Whomever came up with the rule that you have to load facing the opposite direction of the berm and then turn around 180% with a loaded weapon to then face downrange where you should have been facing the entire time must have had their head so far up their butt for so long that they didn't even know what sunshine looks like.

A gun/firearm, be it cartridge or BP has a nasty habit of teaching to respect it when you get careless. Have gnarly scar down my leg from getting a little too casual with my 1911. Carried it on half cock, safety off and in a pocket. Was getting out of my truck, somehow the hammer spur got snagged in the upholstery, Heard a very loud BANG! Then a terrible burning feeling down my leg. then something wet running down my leg soaking my trouser leg. It was my own blood. The bullet exited just above my knee, missing the femoral artery by 1/4 inch and not taking my knee joint out with its exit. Never carry the 1911 in my pants pocket, never carry it on half cock. At the time, I had been handling and using firearm for about 40 years without a mishap. Just goes to show, even 'old hands' with firearms are never too old to learn good firearm manners.
I finally meet the guy who was behind me when they handed out luck. As far as bumping into chunks of lead, I'll confess, I'm not a fan. At least the guy who tagged me with that AK didn't do it by accident. I'd say I was pretty lucky because if it was a shot from a military rifle circa 1860, I'd be missing a wing now.
When I carry a handgun, it's in a holster made for it. Western-style holsters for C&B and single-actions, shoulder rig or belt-holster for my EDC. It depends on the occasion, as I do 9mm for casual, 357Mag for formal.
Only gun I'd ever carry in a pocket would be a double-action only revolver or one those with the hammer-shroud, and even then, probably not. Pockets are more for keys, wallet, cigar-cutters, and the like. I prefer to keep the panic-equipment separate.
I appreciate you sharing that. It's rate to find people who admit to mistakes, rarer to find someone who learns from it, and even rarer finding someone who'd wish for others to avoid his mistake.

In my experience most folks that were taught by their red neck friends and parents are completely clueless about actual gun safety. I know I certainly was. the above story is a perfect example of a life long shooter being clueless. The only safe way to carry a 19ll with one up is cocked, locked , safety on in a holster that covers the trigger and secures the weapon. You won't learn this stuff from your buddys driving around drinking beers and shooting road signs.
I did not grasp real muzzle control and over all safety until I started shooting IPSC. Apparently the police academy is not much good for teaching safety either. If I had a dime for every time I have been swept by a cop or a gun store employe I would be a rich man. Getting DQ'd and sent home with your tail between your legs for a muzzle violation , an AD, moving outside the shooting box with finger through the trigger etc. etc. teaches you really quick. Especially when it forfeits your $250.00 entrance fee. There are no warnings, no exceptions. they just tap you on the shoulder and send you home. You could appeal for $100.00 but if you lost they kept your $100.00 No one ever won an appeal that I was aware of. NMLR range rules are a pathetic joke. If I was the RO I would shut the whole range down . Whomever came up with the rule that you have to load facing the opposite direction of the berm and then turn around 180% with a loaded weapon to then face downrange where you should have been facing the entire time must have had their head so far up their butt for so long that they didn't even know what sunshine looks like.
I think if you came around my thorax of the woods, you'd be picking up teeth with broken fingers the minute you opened your mouth. Best safety advice for you is to get a safety-catch on that snout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back