• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Not toys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
There seem to be a lot of people who are new to cap and ball revolvers and just starting out.

Welcome to the fascinating, enjoyable, frustrating sport of Cap & Ball handgunnery.

However, these are REAL GUNS not toys and can injure or kill just as surely as a .44 magnum unmentionable.

If you don’t believe me, ask James Ewell Brown Stewart, John Wilks Booth, or Davis Tutt. Oh, I am sorry you can’t because they were all put under the sod with C&B revolvers.

James Butler Hickok killed almost as many people as Typhoid fever with a…you guessed it, a .36 Colt Navy percussion revolver.

At the end of the day these are not toys, they are weapons of war and should be treated just as you would an unmentionable using the same four rules of firearm safety.

Hold center

Have fun

Be safe

Bunk

Not sure your point. I can only fire mine at a state range, with range officers eyeballing my every move. What are these toys you speak of?

I get what Bunk is saying. We who are oriented to and love the black powder sports recognize our weapons for what they are, as a tool, weapon and art. There are a lot of folks who have the mind set that our "archaic" ... firearms are not to be taken seriously. they forget that it is only the first shot that counts...regardless if it is coming out of a 2" derringer, Colt Dragoon or what have you. Yes. they are "real" firearms.

Not sure your point. I can only fire mine at a state range, with range officers eyeballing my every move. What are these toys you speak of?
The point being that not everyone shoots at a range that the shooters are so tightly scripted and monitored.
Some people have access to private property and can plink and just have fun.
Perhaps since they may feel the guns are obsolescent firearms are not dangerous.
What I tried to point out is they are dangerous if improperly handled.
This was for new shooters, old timers usually are safe with the C&B revolvers.
Stay safe
bunk

I know what yer talking about Bunk. I joined this forum to read about MZ rifles and the building of them. Rarely read the 'Handguns' section but sometime back started reading posts that I thought were not constructive to safe blackpowder handgun shooting both by some who had been shooting awhile and by new shooters. What concerned me was that new shooters to the forum may head down the wrong road in shooting and may give others the wrong idea on how to, what to do, what not to do, etc. Good post Bunk.

There seem to be a lot of people who are new to cap and ball revolvers and just starting out.

Welcome to the fascinating, enjoyable, frustrating sport of Cap & Ball handgunnery.

However, these are REAL GUNS not toys and can injure or kill just as surely as a .44 magnum unmentionable.

If you don’t believe me, ask James Ewell Brown Stewart, John Wilks Booth, or Davis Tutt. Oh, I am sorry you can’t because they were all put under the sod with C&B revolvers.

James Butler Hickok killed almost as many people as Typhoid fever with a…you guessed it, a .36 Colt Navy percussion revolver.

At the end of the day these are not toys, they are weapons of war and should be treated just as you would an unmentionable using the same four rules of firearm safety.

Hold center

Have fun

Be safe

Bunk
Damn right, look at the numbers of those who perished during the civil war. Definitely not toys but I too have seen how people look at you when your at the range with one, like 'what is THAT old obsolete thing?' until you take a shot and they go 'DAMN' yeah may be an old design but still doesn't make it a 'joke'👍 and then they usually want to shoot it!! Hahaha ya know, because they're AWESOME!!!!😁

Hold center

Have fun

Be safe

Bunk
My .36 Navy is extremely accurate. I can hit pie-plate out to 100 yards and all day long in the center ring at 50.

The OP states the questionable supposition that BP firearms are generally treated less safely than modern firearms. If a person is careless with modern guns they’ll probably treat BP firearms the same way. I’ve never seen anyone who is careful with modern guns but is careless with a BP piece. The consciousness seems to be readily transferable for most people, even new shooters. A person who is sloppy with one type will probably be careless with both. I’ve never met anyone who considered BP firearms to be toys who did not treat all guns as playthings.

Hold center

Have fun

Be safe

Bunk
Weapons of War is the term the Gun Grabbing Trash on the Left uses.

Let's not refer to Cap N Ball revolvers, or any firearms we enjoy, as Weapons of War. Because they very clearly are not.

They're novelties. Nothing more. Regardless of being able to kill someone. You can kill someone with a sharpened stick. Doesn't make sharpened sticks Weapons of War. Just food for thought.

And I'm only seeing three of the four rules of firearm safety. So I'll go with Rule #1: Never point a firearm at something you don't intend to destroy.

Who said they were toys? Or is that a new statement that is being made for benefit of safety. I have never known any forum member to refer to a muzzle loader as a toy. Well until you stated the word toy.
I should have added that a Kibler with a very large and clear stamped barrel "This Is Not A Toy" would not be to my liking.

Last edited:
Weapons of War is the term the Gun Grabbing Trash on the Left uses.

Let's not refer to Cap N Ball revolvers, or any firearms we enjoy, as Weapons of War. Because they very clearly are not.

They're novelties. Nothing more. Regardless of being able to kill someone. You can kill someone with a sharpened stick. Doesn't make sharpened sticks Weapons of War. Just food for thought.

And I'm only seeing three of the four rules of firearm safety. So I'll go with Rule #1: Never point a firearm at something you don't intend to destroy.
correct I should have said 150+ years ago they were used in war.
However obsolete they are still dangerous and should be treated as being dangerous. that us what I was trying to put across to new shooters.
the four rules still apply..

I sometimes decide not to sell my BP revolvers [or any BP gun] to newbies. If I can spend a half hour instructing them, OK. If no time or willingness, ask questions until you are satisfied with the knowledge expressed. I once was showing a BP firearm. the guy went in his house and brought out a partial can of powder. He said, "see this powder is black so i can use it, right?" Hmmmmm? Not exactly. Polecat

Last edited:
been shooting my 58 remis with 25g of T7 lately and reminded every day that these things have some serious punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back