• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Cap and Ball Revolver Recommendations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First Black Powder Revolver

• Total voters

Heat

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on a first black powder revolver. Not my first firearm. I have other cartridge and black powder arms already but don't have a pistol that shoots cap and ball. I'm thinking .36 caliber is what I would like best but might be convinced otherwise. I seem to like the looks of the ones in the 5 to 6 inch barrel range or so. Any reason I should only consider a longer 7 1/2" barrel? I don't want a gun that is super heavy. Function and reliability is the first priority. Fit and finish less so but still don't want a hunk of manure either. Recommendations on places to buy? Leary of Midway USA and the no returns. Would probably pay a little extra and hopefully have that option if I got one that didn't function out of the box. I don't want to tune my first gun much. Please share thoughts and opinions please!

Everything is a short barrel version, they look cool but you're not going to get the best powder burn

You can't go wrong with a Uberti .36 Navy of any type. The actions are better than a Pietta

This one runs all day with Crisco over the chambers. .36 is a good caliber for range shooting, they're accurate, economical on powder and lead and lots of fun

I like them with the full length barrels

20230131_170810.jpg

I figured the shorter guns were way more comfortable to handle as well. Any pistol I have ever shot more than 6 inches in barrel length felt very awkward and front heavy, very uncomfortable for the most part. Not sure why that would be any different with one of these. Seems like a gun that weight a pound and a half is a lot easier to wield than a 2 and a half pound gun but that's why I'm asking for opinions. Never shot one.

I would handle each of those revolvers if possible. It’s like trying on boots. That’s where I would start. You’ll find the 1862 Pocket Navy and Police revolvers are smaller than the 1851 Navy. There is a fairly distinctive difference in the grips between the Uberti and Pietta versions. The Uberti offerings don’t have the phone book cautions all over the place like the Piettas do.

The Uberti versions are a much better representation of the original Colts. The Piettas lean more toward a fantasy version. I can’t speak to the current fit and finish of either company. I can say, the Ubertis I own are beautiful and nearly perfect. If they were perfect, I could shoot X’s all day long, and they would clean themselves. I did own a few Piettas, and handled several. I gave the Piettas away. One was still new in the box.

Most fun for me to shoot ? The 1851 Uberti Navy. If you are concerned about the weight, just remember, the more you shoot, the lighter the revolver gets… 😂😎

Looking for recommendations on a first black powder revolver. Not my first firearm. I have other cartridge and black powder arms already but don't have a pistol that shoots cap and ball. I'm thinking .36 caliber is what I would like best but might be convinced otherwise. I seem to like the looks of the ones in the 5 to 6 inch barrel range or so. Any reason I should only consider a longer 7 1/2" barrel? I don't want a gun that is super heavy. Function and reliability is the first priority. Fit and finish less so but still don't want a hunk of manure either. Recommendations on places to buy? Leary of Midway USA and the no returns. Would probably pay a little extra and hopefully have that option if I got one that didn't function out of the box. I don't want to tune my first gun much. Please share thoughts and opinions please!
Function (AND) reliability and in 45 cal , easy Ruger OLD ARMY/Ed

7 1/2 inch Navy would be my recommendation as well. You lose a lot of velocity with these in a shorter barrel, and you'll be grateful for the extra length of the loading lever.

Misleading title. Are we telling which was our first revolver or telling the OP what we think should be his first?

Back