• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Not toys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Demented, you are a prime example of someone who should not be trusted with a firearm and just splendidly proved my point.. If you are that easily triggered its not a good mix. One of the guys from easy company passed away from an AD of a .32 auto in his pocket or waistband? Hit the femural artery and bled out. I have done most of those stupid things in my youth and simply got lucky. My closest self inflicted call was fast drawing an 1858 and my thumb slipped off the hammer before I cleared leather. Caught my corduroy pants on fire and splattered my barefoot ankles with lead splattered off the pavement. . The muzzle blast felt very similar to being shot. I had to check carefully after slapping out the flames to be certain I had not shot myself.

We don’t dog on “Rednecks”, not even in California. Rude behavior - won’t tolerate it. You know the thing.

Agree and I doubt they do unless complete morons! I think most people that buy them do so for the history and nostalgia. We all I think know the history. Did anyone on this forum purchase one thinking it was a toy?
Definately not toys, but I have worked on and owned a few old guns that had been used as toys at some time in their histories. One such was a double 12 percussion that I was looking at in a local gun shop. Np ramrod, so I tried to blow down the barrels. No go. I asked the shop owner if he had a cleaning rod handy, and I used it to see if there was anything down there. Sure enough, both barrel appeared to be loaded! I asked the somewhat shaken fellow if he had a wad puller or some such. He did indeed, and we went 'out back' to pull the loads. The right hand barrel turned out to contain about half a dozen rolls of toy caps. (that gun uses caps to shoot). That provided a bit of ho-ho. The other contained a complete load of bird shot, powder, etc. which had been sitting down there for possibly more than 100 years. The powder went 'poof' with a match. We can only imagine what could have happened if the kid with the caps had tried stuffing several of them into the hammer cup to shoot!

Demented, you are a prime example of someone who should not be trusted with a firearm and just splendidly proved my point.. If you are that easily triggered its not a good mix. One of the guys from easy company passed away from an AD of a .32 auto in his pocket or waistband? Hit the femural artery and bled out. I have done most of those stupid things in my youth and simply got lucky. My closest self inflicted call was fast drawing an 1858 and my thumb slipped off the hammer before I cleared leather. Caught my corduroy pants on fire and splattered my barefoot ankles with lead splattered off the pavement. . The muzzle blast felt very similar to being shot. I had to check carefully after slapping out the flames to be certain I had not shot myself.
I have never shot myself like you have. And I don't blanket-insult swaths of people for no reason. The only thing you have established is the need for that safety catch on your snout.

There seem to be a lot of people who are new to cap and ball revolvers and just starting out.

Welcome to the fascinating, enjoyable, frustrating sport of Cap & Ball handgunnery.

However, these are REAL GUNS not toys and can injure or kill just as surely as a .44 magnum unmentionable.

If you don’t believe me, ask James Ewell Brown Stewart, John Wilks Booth, or Davis Tutt. Oh, I am sorry you can’t because they were all put under the sod with C&B revolvers.

James Butler Hickok killed almost as many people as Typhoid fever with a…you guessed it, a .36 Colt Navy percussion revolver.

At the end of the day these are not toys, they are weapons of war and should be treated just as you would an unmentionable using the same four rules of firearm safety.

Hold center

Have fun

Be safe

Bunk
Recently saw a you tube video on ‘myths of the old west’ it said C/B revolves shot a low velocity lead pea sized piece of lead.
The idea that those are some sort of toys is wide spread
It’s important that people know these are real guns
Thanks for posting

I told a hard truth and you threatened me with physical violence. Not cool.
No. Two lies in one line. You insulted people you don't know, and I explained cause and effect. And I explained how to avoid it. You're slow, boy. No wonder you shot yerself.

EDIT:
I now consider the matter concluded.
To return, considering a comparison to small arms wounds in the Civil War and comparing them to wounds from modern small-arms, there's no question as to the capability. Those 4 safety rules we run by today originated before repeating weapons were commonplace. I see no reason to mess with tradition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back