• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First Cap and Ball Revolver Recommendations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First Black Powder Revolver

• Total voters
It more than likely did have the Navy size grips. I've read and known of guys with alot bigger paws than me that liked the Navy size grips and advised they felt better to them. One of the major things I've read and heard from guys with smaller hands is that the Army sized grips were too big. I've one Colt peacemaker style SA and have always thought of putting Army type grips on it. My two Ruger SA, one the original offering and the other the new Model. Like the old model better as it has fatter, bigger grips, but adapt. As I mentioned while a LEO, I carried a Colt Trooper 4" .357 with large Pachmayr grips. Hand filling as I could wrap all four fingers around it. Twenty-one years of that occupation shooting thousands of rounds got me more accustomed to the Army style.

*Note to you who read this that any mention of anything past 1865-70 referring to firearms or any firearm developments is a hanging offense, well sometimes you need to mention the unmentionables to get information and/or points across for clarity!!*

I was in the same boat a few years ago,I was contemplating my first. After reading all the horror stories about cap jams on Colt clones, I bought a 1858 Remington clone by Pietta. Great gun, came with extra cylinder, I can swap cylinders in under one minute.
No cap jams, no issues at all.
Very accurate at the distance I shoot, 15-20 yards.
I do love the feel and looks of the Colt clones better, the 1860 Army points great, just seems to fit my hand better. But my guns are all shooters, so I went Remington clone.
IMG_1846.jpeg

Now if I could convince my wife to clean it for me, life would be complete!

Nobody can recommend what you will like. Choose what best suits you. FWIW, my first was an Army brass frame .45 kit. I assembled it, not pretty but it worked. I had fun shooting it and learned a lot from having it.

Back