• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

dutchoven breakfast

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Heap

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Have been watching some great videos on breakfast with a dutchoven. I'm wondering if there is a book on dutchoven recipes someone can recommend? Have been using dutchovens all my life.

You might like "The Magic of Fire" by William Rubel. Covers modern and ancient hearth cooking around the world. Not cheap - try interlibrary loan.

When I first started cooking in Dutch ovens I went to the library and read some books.....
and began cooking ....I soon learned that a Dutch oven is a pot, fry pan and oven all rolled into one, and will cook anything that you would normally cook in those three....

I prefer to think of a Dutch oven as an entire kitchen rather than viewing it as a "crock pot" type cooking implement.

I must admit though my favorite use for a Dutch oven is to use it as an "oven".....for baking...

When former Pres. Reagan went on a horseback-hunting trip the cook put up a sort of frittata with eggs, a couple of different kinds of sausage, chopped onions, peppers, etc.- all in a Dutch oven. Man I got to try that.

Anything you can cook at home can be made in a dutch oven...no need for special recipes. A 12" deep also makes fantastic fried chicken....

Back