• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bacon Grease

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you post a few links to support this assertion, please?
Here's just one for you. There's plenty of research on this. Oddly, none of it has ever established a direct causal relationship.
https://www.amazon.com/Statin-Natio...id=1703602774&sprefix=Statin+n,aps,173&sr=8-1
I believe there are “anti kickback” laws in place that limit the “goodies” doctors get from drug companies. Besides, I worked in healthcare for 30 years, and can tell you doctors are not so easily bought.
This is true. About the limit for the vast majority of doctors is the receit of free samples.

I think the greater problem is the Standards Of Care (SOC). Medicine has become highly centralized and corporatized. Practitioners who deviate from SOC are not tolerated in the corporate medical establishment. Why? Legal liability! Providing care outside of SOC opens the door to lawsuits from patients (or the families of the dead patients) whose outcomes are not what they expected or hoped for. Not following SOC can cost money and money is what it's about to the Board of Directors!

I know I quoted @Notchy Bob above, but it was only to lead in to and expand on my response to @B P Arn

So, arn, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to research who are the people are that make up the group that decides what the SOC is. Then further research and examine the professional history's of each of them.

And, finally, do not report back here. We are already on thin ice with the mods. 😀

My squirrels have been eating off a large pumpkin since the first week of November. They are FAT. And I swear their belly fur has gotten a much darker orange. 🤣

Been saving bacon grease from microwaving strips for breakfast. Currently storing in a lidded plastic gallon icecream container. What are some good uses for this product in muzzle loading?

And...Merry Christmas to all of you! You are a valued set of folks in my life.

Dan
The trouble with bacon grease is most of it has some amount of salt in it which has no redeeming value that I'm aware of for muzzle loading use.

I see Poster being advised not to use Bacon Grease as a patch lube due to the salts used to cure bacon. I have no idea how bacon is cured in the U.S.A but here Saltpetre/potassium nitrate is used to cure bacon/ham/salami and such. It`s the same Saltpetre used in making Black Powder. You are putting the same salt`s in the barrel every time you load with Black Powder so what`s the difference, I`m confused.

I remember as a Kid rubbing Potassium Nitrate with water into legs of pork to cure it and a few years back talking to a Butcher who used the same commercial brand Potassium Nitrate for Bacon as I do to Make Black Powder.

I just use Olive Oil for patch lube and don`t intend using anything else.
I had thought the very same thing but the rub comes when one uses the grease as a preservative to wipe a bore and the outside of the gun after cleaning.
Rendered bear grease will do the job but not salted bacon grease.

Here's just one for you. There's plenty of research on this. Oddly, none of it has ever established a direct causal relationship.
https://www.amazon.com/Statin-Natio...id=1703602774&sprefix=Statin+n,aps,173&sr=8-1

This is true. About the limit for the vast majority of doctors is the receit of free samples.

I think the greater problem is the Standards Of Care (SOC). Medicine has become highly centralized and corporatized. Practitioners who deviate from SOC are not tolerated in the corporate medical establishment. Why? Legal liability! Providing care outside of SOC opens the door to lawsuits from patients (or the families of the dead patients) whose outcomes are not what they expected or hoped for. Not following SOC can cost money and money is what it's about to the Board of Directors!

I know I quoted @Notchy Bob above, but it was only to lead in to and expand on my response to @B P Arn

So, arn, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to research who are the people are that make up the group that decides what the SOC is. Then further research and examine the professional history's of each of them.

And, finally, do not report back here. We are already on thin ice with the mods. 😀
Excellent LC. And note that SOC becomes a dead letter for liability when the government insiders provides "emergency" status to a concoction like the clot shots. NO LAWSUITS ALLOWED
Further, while doctors may be limited in the pharmaceutical bribes they are allowed to take, has anyone checked the limits of kickbacks and discounts for corporate medicine ? Putting money on it that it is huge. Real doctors are getting the boot and we are fast being left with nothing but dispensary coding technicians.
Watch the commercials and learn that bacon grease is way safer than what pharma is peddling 99% of the time.
It will cause hypertension in a muzzleloader though. SW

I had thought the very same thing but the rub comes when one uses the grease as a preservative to wipe a bore and the outside of the gun after cleaning. Rendered bear grease will do the job but not salted bacon grease.
I agree. Am I sure that its's a bad idea? No. But, having tested more patch lubes than I can remember or accurately count the logical conclusion is that there are many good ones so why take a risk and why waste good bacon grease?

@Steve Wagner I acquired two boxes of the PA conicals and did remove the lube from one box and left it on the other. I'll fiddle a bit with Hornady lube and a few others but so far my testing has shown that they can shoot accurately and will make the 50 cal legal for elk in CO. For elk or moose the min is 50 caliber and a min 210 grain projectile.

Mostly it's for other family members who only have a 50 and may want to hunt elk.

Been saving bacon grease from microwaving strips for breakfast. Currently storing in a lidded plastic gallon icecream container. What are some good uses for this product in muzzle loading?

And...Merry Christmas to all of you! You are a valued set of folks in my life.

Dan
The best thing for frying chilled cornmeal mush. Slice about 1/4" thick and fry till the edges are crisp, works best in cast iron.

Thanks to all who replied. My bacon grease is being combined with rolled oats and milo for winter bird feeding. Happy New Year!
That’s a good use for it. Wild birds need all the help they can get these days. A little extra fat in their diet sure won’t hurt.

All things considered, it’s probably better to feed it to the birds than your muzzleloader anyway.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Back