• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bacon Grease

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can substitute it for shortening in any baking, so long as you are ok with a 'bacony' bit of flavour. I use it for crusts for meat pies, biscuits, pancakes, and for frying anything. Makes great fried toast (great way to clean up the pan after frying bacon and eggs for yer camp breakfast). With that much, you could try making French fries or fritters.
Bacon grease chocolate chip cookies are a marvel! So is “baconcream” icing on a chocolate cake!
Jay
(Like bacon, salty and 73% fat.)

I have a cast iron skillet full of corn bread cooling a little as I write this. Venison stew and corm bread for Christmas Eve dinner. A quarter cup of butter mixed in with the batter and a good layer of lard in the bottom of the skillet. According to the vegans I should be dead by morning. At least I'll die happy!

In 1976, I slow danced with a girl. We both were interested in the other. During the dance I remember her sniffing. She lost all interest in me immediatly. I was confused, as is normal for such matters when you are 14 YO. 40 years later my sister broke the news. The reason the girl lost interest in me was because I smelled like bacon! It was off putting for her. I had cooked bacon for breakfast.
You dodged a bullet there and should be thankful for it.
A young adult male should never desire a girlfriend relationship with one that diverts, instead of encounters.

I buy .015 pillow-ticking patches prelubed with Bumbling Bear Grease.

Last edited:
Coat the inside of cast iron skillet when making cornbread leaves a beautiful crust.

Fried potatoes seasoned to taste.

Sautee onions in bacon grease add green beans cook and season to taste.

Yesterday morning I took a little piece of angle iron, sanded all the scale and stuff from one flat so it was shiny steel. Rubbed bacon grease on part of it and left the other part bare steel. Now it sat outside for about 24 hours in damp cool weather. I cleaned the bacon grease off just now and that part is still just as shiny as it was but the other part is brown with rust.
It appears that the bacon grease doesn't cause rust, but prevents it - at least in the short (one day) term.
I used to put some on the front of the cylinder of my Remington 44 to try and prevent cross fires, - never tried it for patch lube on a rifle though.
I agree that cooking is a better use of it - my Mom used to make wilted lettuce salad, it was darn good!

This is a gimmick like "Global Climate Change". The diagnosis "High Chloesterol" is used nearly universally by medial providers these days. It ensures that they get a recurrent income from repeat blood testing and "follow-up" visits. whether they get any return from pharma for the prescription drug sales is anybody's guess. There is No one-to-one link between this treatment and cardiac health. In diabetes, for example, there is. You fail to take your insulin properly, you die.
Hahahhaaahaaa!!!! Another internet conspiracy theory! :D

Hahahhaaahaaa!!!! Another internet conspiracy theory! :D
Drug companies made many millions selling anti-cholesterol drugs, so they pushed the bs. Don't blindly take whatever a doc prescribes. Look them up and make an informed decision before diving into the deep end. Your pharmacist is your friend in this; they know much more about the drugs than any doc. Docs get goodies from drug companies to help them make up their minds what is good for you. And have fun shooting over the festive season! All the best for 2024!

Drug companies made many millions selling anti-cholesterol drugs, so they pushed the bs. Don't blindly take whatever a doc prescribes. Look them up and make an informed decision before diving into the deep end. Your pharmacist is your friend in this; they know much more about the drugs than any doc. Docs get goodies from drug companies to help them make up their minds what is good for you. And have fun shooting over the festive season! All the best for 2024!
Can you post a few links to support this assertion, please?

I will be burning powder tomorrow, thank you!

Yesterday morning I took a little piece of angle iron, sanded all the scale and stuff from one flat so it was shiny steel. Rubbed bacon grease on part of it and left the other part bare steel. Now it sat outside for about 24 hours in damp cool weather. I cleaned the bacon grease off just now and that part is still just as shiny as it was but the other part is brown with rust.
It appears that the bacon grease doesn't cause rust, but prevents it - at least in the short (one day) term.
I used to put some on the front of the cylinder of my Remington 44 to try and prevent cross fires, - never tried it for patch lube on a rifle though.
I agree that cooking is a better use of it - my Mom used to make wilted lettuce salad, it was darn good!

Thanks for posting! Now we know!
I believe there are “anti kickback” laws in place that limit the “goodies” doctors get from drug companies. Besides, I worked in healthcare for 30 years, and can tell you doctors are not so easily bought.

However, doctors do pay attention to research, and for better or for worse, drug companies may fund a lot of the studies that are published. This can in fact have some influence.

Consumers (patients, in this case) are always wise to inform themselves. I would agree that one should not “blindly” take whatever is prescribed. I was recently advised to begin taking a statin, but I respectfully declined. My cholesterol is over the threshold, but not by much. The trade-offs in terms of potential side effects are not worth it to me for just a few points on the cholesterol scale.

Anyway, many rely on Dr. Google for their medical and pharmacological information, and there is a lot of nonsense out there… misinformation that is not regulated in any way. Just as we have all seen bad advice on shooting on web-based videos, there is plenty of bad medical advice. Look for legitimate sources of information when you do your own research.

Be safe,

Notchy Bob

20231225_164229.jpg

Be ready to impress your mountain man buddies at the next "rondy"!

Back