• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cured bacon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All "bacon" needs to be kept cool and eaten before it spoils.
"Salt Pork" if kept dry can last years and still be eatable.

Turkeyfoot trading company has it listed in the dried edables section $10.80 for aprox. 2 pounds says no refrigeration necessary.

Loyalist Dave said:
Here's the Turkey Foote Traders LINK

That's not bad... the other stuff is like $32.50 a pound before shipping. :shocked2:
The Amazon link I posted is $8.13 per pound. Shipping is high, but it's eight pounds.

The Smithfield link is $12.50 per pound.

http://www.scotthams.com/store.html

Click on the right arrow to go to the bacon listings and find:

Slab Country Bacon Item # 55
Buy now
Description

This is a whole slab of bacon, weight is 7-8 pounds. The sliced bacon is made from this piece. A little cheaper if you have a way to slice yourself. The RE-ENACTORS order this. Works great, store in your refrigerator or freezer. Before using cut off the amount needed, and return the remainder to cold storage. Keeps fine in the 'field' while you are enjoying the re-enactment as it is a shelf staple product. Just make sure you cook. Same kind of meat the civil war soldiers would have actually had with them.
Categories

Bacon Click red arrow
Keywords

Country Bacon in the whole slab. 7-8 pounds.

I called Scott's about this and they told me that the bacon would last indefinitely. They suggest refrigeration to preserve the flavor only.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Amazon link I posted is $8.13 per pound. Shipping is high, but it's eight pounds.

The Smithfield link is $12.50 per pound.

If I was good at math and reading labels too, then I'd at least be in the financial crimes unit, or making good money as a [strike] PCA [/strike],... CPA... see what I mean?

:doh:

LD

I've used the turkey foot cured bacon a few times and it's always turned out well. had to boil it and change the water like you would do with salt pork but made an excellent addition to a dried vegetable soup.

What you are looking for is a "dry cured" peppered bacon. I am lucky to live in an Amish community where I can get it, but it is costly. I usually get a slab for the eastern and old northwest and have no problem with it spoiling in the heat of the "Old North sweat" :idunno: I don't know if they ship any out of the area but you could contact "Streps " in Dalton Ohio to see if they would ship it. :idunno: :idunno: They do have a web site! search for Strep's meats Dalton. :hmm: :hmm:

What you are looking for is a "dry cured" peppered bacon.

thanks for claryfing that. We have two places about 60 miles from me that sell it to tourists. Bought some once, price was heart-stopping high but it was good.
Wonder if it would be possible/practical to more completely smoke regular commercial bacon to a dry cured state?
I buy Covered Wagon brand for my regular use. It is about $20.00 for a ten pound box.

RJLJML said:
I've used the turkey foot cured bacon a few times and it's always turned out well. had to boil it and change the water like you would do with salt pork but made an excellent addition to a dried vegetable soup.
I too have had turkey foots bacon and its good stuff. They didn't fry bacon often back then and it was most often boiled. Greeks and Romans were eating bacon and it was never refriderated. Its pretty much smoked salt pork, and I've eaten the best part of a year old. It does get stronger in flavor as it ages.
To rifle man I don't think it would be safe to try and cure out a modren bacon flavored product in to bacon

Do you know if they do retail? I looked at the site. It may have said there somewhere but I missed it. :idunno:

the peppered slab resembles the product my g-dad produced, he had a smokehouse built into the bank behind his home. the smoke from a masonry burner that he'd mounted a stove door on ran through about 8' of buried terra cota pipe into the center floor of the building, about 10'x12'. he smoked meat for folks around this side of town. busy during hog killing time and during the depression his family ate right good. he rendered lard too, and made cracklings.

Wonder if it would be possible/practical to more completely smoke regular commercial bacon to a dry cured state?

My buddy the chef does it all the time, but from scratch, and with DIY equipment.

The key is the smoker needs to be what they call "cool" smoke... it has to be below a temp that will not "cook" the bacon, so that it dries the bacon after curing. What he ended up doing was getting a small, tabletop Weber grill, and fastened a foil clothes dryer vent hose over the vent on the grill lid, then he attached the other end of the vent hose to a box at the bottom, and the smoke rises through the box, and vents out a hole in the top.

He puts the grill on the ground, and the box about 9' above the grill on his deck. He starts a fire in the grill, and uses hickory chips on hardwood charcoal. He adjusts the vents in the top of the grill so the fire smoulders, and test the temp of the smoke as it enters the smoking box with a cooking thermometer... he likes it at about 90 - 100 degrees. It doesn't take too much smoke to give the flavor. Every piece of meat is different, so he has to check it from time to time...drying times vary.

He used pork shoulders on sale to make small test batches until he got it right.

LD

Back