• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cured bacon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.broadbenthams.com/FOUR-1LB-PEPPER-BACON-ENDS-PIECES/productinfo/P13/

from there add

Do not be alarmed if your product are warm when they arrive.

Broadbent Country Bacon is a dry cured product. It does not require refrigeration. It has a shelf life of three months. Refrigerating or freezing upon receipt will extend quality and life of the product. All products are USDA inspected and meet all USDA shipping requirements for safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alden said:
I always wondered...
...what was wrong with it in the first place.

Well ya see :wink: That tharr pig was ah root'n under the garden fence & eat'n all the turnips.

But a bullet from this harr rifle gun & two weeks in the smoke house done cured it of that. Permanent like.

Bacon today and bacon 200years ago appear to be two different things though the belly was also used back then they kinda turned it all into bacon and ham back then they would usually do a dry rub and some may have done a brine but the rub seems to be more common then after sitting with that for a few weeks it was into the smoke house for up to 3years depending on how long it took to eat the meet they have in there but they would just hang the new meet in with the old and start smoking it again I think there active smoking process lasted a couple of months ( different smoke houses than we have) but ours can be done in days or a couple of weeks do a search for dry rubs or brines ( I would suggest the brine dry rub turned out way to salty to fry) and give it a try in you're regular smoker with a piece of fatty pork you are looking for something resembling a really big piece of fatty jerky mine has been on the shelf for only about 2 1/2 months but it seems fine so far I plan on leaving some of it for over a year if it will last.
Running horse

I have used the Smithfield brand. it has the best flavor and is not salty. I will last for a long time, if you keep it in a cool dry dark place.

Robinsons meat market, of Rayville, La., has true salt cured smoked slab bacon. I buy a slab for every event. It is too expensive for my every day use. They also have what we southerners called fat back, sow belly or salt meat. I get smoked ham hocks for my beans from them. The only source I know of in N La.

Back