• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HEARING PROTECTION can you hear me!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatcreek

40 Cal
Reaction score
Don't know about the rest of you, but ear plugs and muffs have always been uncomfortable and a pain for me, although I do wear them Well I just tried the Radians molded earplugs, the ones you mix up and shove in you ear to cure, (mind you that idea didn't appeal to me but I did it anyway and it wasn't bad at all) and I love them, sometimes I forget I even have them in. Between 10 and 15 bucks on amazon and for me well worth it. Just thought I would pass this on.
Phil

Yeah, I'm not a fan of either. Used to wearing them though for work and when in woodshop making turkey calls. Will have to give radians a look, thanks.

I bought a pair of Otto Pros. They have different types of pass through filters that do their intended job depending on the situation. I use them for shooting, racing, wood cutting…. I thing they sell just the basic ones with a small case for $50 ish maybe. Also, they have an option to buy other types of pass through filters and even offer custom molding that could possibly be covered by insurance if one were to go that way.

I have major tinnitus and I’ve thought about going the custom route. That being said I carry my ears with me wherever I go (I have a keychain container).

Anthony

had some of the in the ear molded kind made at a gun show in Tucson about 40 years ago. new process then. used them until the hair in my ears got like brillo pads and they wouldn't stay in any longer. actually my ear canals changed enough they didn't fit anymore.
I hate using ear muffs, as they almost always scooch up on the cheek piece and don't do their job.
will have to look at the stuff you used. i have a box of the foam twist-em soft plugs somewhere, left over from logging days, but finding them would be like finding an honest politician.

Like sticking newborn bunnies in your ears.

Attachments

• IMG_3712.JPG
    IMG_3712.JPG
    562.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
had some of the in the ear molded kind made at a gun show in Tucson about 40 years ago. new process then. used them until the hair in my ears got like brillo pads and they wouldn't stay in any longer. actually my ear canals changed enough they didn't fit anymore.
I hate using ear muffs, as they almost always scooch up on the cheek piece and don't do their job.
will have to look at the stuff you used. i have a box of the foam twist-em soft plugs somewhere, left over from logging days, but finding them would be like finding an honest politician.
If have the same as the OP describes. Very simple, lightweight and nice. I got tired of the muffs as they seem to get hot, heavy, hurt from the knob on the hat and after say 15 minutes just uncomfortable to use. The foam plugs and the radium ones work for me now. Plus if really bad can put the muffs over em for more db protection.

As long as folks are doing something, it's all good.
I'm deaf today because I didn't!
I started protecting my hearing 40 years too late. now hear voices by reading lips. women's voices i have a terrible time hearing. that's my story and i am sticking to it!

Back when I was still a working man the company I worked for provided custom-made plugs because I needed to wear hearing protection for 10 hours a day and there's no way a normal set of plugs or muffs is comfortable for that long.
I still have the pair they had made for me.

my wife cuts my hair and mows my ear hair. the ones in the canal she plucks with tweezers. along with the admonishment to," quit sniveling, I have plucked my eyebrows for 70 years and you don't hear me squealing like a piglet!"
me being an imprudent man sometimes, said something about the weirdness of plucking eyebrows and then painting them back on.

I bought some on Amazon that you boil to make soft and then mold them to your ears. They're OK. Good for ML's, but I can tell they would let too much sound through on some other guns.

I bought some on Amazon that you boil to make soft and then mold them to your ears. They're OK. Good for ML's, but I can tell they would let too much sound through on some other guns.
I've got the same ones and have the same experience. They're fine as long as it's just the blackpowder or shotgun ranges. But inevitably, some guy with a muzzle break on a 300WinMag will set up next to me, and then nothing works.

According to my audiologist, there are small bones behind the ear that are part of the hearing process. They are somewhat protected by muffs, not at all by the little foam plugs. I also believe that some people are.more prone to hearing damage than others

Latest posts

Back