• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HEARING PROTECTION can you hear me!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One day at the range (outdoor) i was leaving, packed up gear in car. They have parking right behind the line to unload/load. Range was cold, took off my muffs. Before i could get in the car the range went hot and about 10 guys were firing 9mm, .45 every semi auto known to man in an apparent re-enactment of the Bonnie and Clyde death scene.
Ears were ringing and couldn’t hear for 2 days. Now i leave muffs on til in car and off the property.

Last edited:
We used cotton or cigarette filters in the Navy. Those 3" 50's weren't big but they were sure loud being right behind them. Same thing in the sawmills later on. In the early 70's the OSHA folks came around testing our hearing. What that's you say???? Huh???
The first time I went to a shooting range back in N.J. 50 years ago, the range warden was walking around with what looked like two 8mm Mouser rounds in his ears. At the time I thought that looked kind of cool, but I never thought to try that myself. I guess I was not of that same caliber.

I didn't use earplugs the first time I drove at Talladega. After my 10 lap drive my ears hurt for an hour after. No mufflers on those cars. After that I used earplugs for the next three 20 lap drives. Much better.
37 years in a paper mill educated me on earplugs. No matter their NRR rating muffs only add about 3-4db. on top of 32db. foam plugs but it helps a lot. You will never see hearing protection with an NRR above approx. 33db.
The NRR is for continuous noise. Impulse noise (gunfire) isn't normally rated. You are on your own there.

When I got a new rifle with a 16" barrel and a muzzle brake, shooting a certain kind of ammo, my regular muffs were not enough, so I also used a pair of ear plugs. And that still wasn't enough. So I bought a pair of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BEENYCQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Those worked pretty well, but I still ended up taking the brake off and the sound was better, but the recoil increase was exponential.
Ended up going with a can. It was that or get rid of the gun. And of course everything was better. It went from an MOA gun to a sub-MOA gun.

For whatever reason, ten years ago I had a hard time with muffs and shooting long guns, but not anymore. I think once I started shooting iron sights and ML's a lot more I moved my head back and it sits there different now to where muffs don't get in the way the way they used to.

People who use muzzle brakes are afraid of their rifles. That's the big reason I avoid the local public range unless I have a real need to shoot. I hate those earsplitting muzzle breaks. I have to admit though that I do get some satisfaction in smoking out the guy next to me with his muzzle breaked, short barreled, 308 with a scope he's shooting at 25 yards. Urban Warriors I call them.

I've been using Decibulz for a few years now. Really like them. Quite comfortable to wear all day. I have the ones that are percussive and block out the sound upon firing, but still allow normal conversation.

I was a foam/silicone plug guy for years then i went to electronic and not looking back. I got to say i really like the AXIL GS Extreme 2.0 that i have. They take a lil get’n use to with the features they have and worth the money…$199.00. They also have deals from time to time and they have deals going on now.

I use the filter from a cigarette. I don't smoke, but a friend does and I get a few from him. We used them in the military firing the M-16 and other weapons and they worked great and you don't know they're there. However today they seem to be a little smaller in diameter but still work for me.

I buy the squishy ones with the plastic cord between them by the industrial dispenser boxes from MSC or other supply stores. All I need for ML unless near a big slug gun then I use my Peltor electronic headset. That way it blocks the boom and lets me hear rangemaster's orders.

At 50 I'm starting to realize I'm not invincible. Close up eyesight is diminishing and hearing is really lacking. A life of turbine engines, gunfire/explosions, and nagging women. The latter caused the most damage.
I really suggest you see an audiologist and get hearing aids. Wish I'd done it sooner as it changed my life. The terrible thing about hearing loss is that if you wait too long to address it, you'll never get it all back. Don't go cheap if you can help it. Get rechargables. Messing with the batteries is one more obstacle to wearing them. Just a little advice from an old guy.

I really suggest you see an audiologist and get hearing aids. Wish I'd done it sooner as it changed my life. The terrible thing about hearing loss is that if you wait too long to address it, you'll never get it all back. Don't go cheap if you can help it. Get rechargables. Messing with the batteries is one more obstacle to wearing them. Just a little advice from an old guy.
Thanks for the advice. VA offered me hearing aids 10 years ago. I never followed up tho. I guess I need to start prioritizing

Latest posts

Back