• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cci caps are flying off 2nd barrel nipple. Help!?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acohill1

72 cal
Reaction score
Got about 900 cci #11s for my pedersoli and was super stoked until I got to the range and every pull I'd fire and on the 2nd shot I'd either look down and my cap was gone or I'd dry fire on accident. How do I keep the cci caps from coming off? Should I just buy a larger nipple for my 2nd shot barrel?

Got about 900 cci #11s for my pedersoli and was super stoked until I got to the range and every pull I'd fire and on the 2nd shot I'd either look down and my cap was gone or I'd dry fire on accident. How do I keep the cci caps from coming off? Should I just buy a larger nipple for my 2nd shot barrel?
Nipples are cheap. Buy two at least. I have been a fan of the Treso Ampco nipples, but the hardened steel ones from TOW are holding up well on my Pedersoli double that will eat the softer Hotshot nipples.

Yes, your cones are just too small. Get some new ones, find a pair where the caps fit really tight. If you get cones where the caps are too tight, then just chuck them in a drill press, and work them over with sandpaper until you get the perfect fit. For me that is when they will seat fully, but will be difficult to remove with just a fingernail.

Pinching caps is not a good solution, and does not come with the territory. In wet weather or rain it will/can make for dead caps, and pinching will still allow them to come off from recoil. It might "help" but it's not a good solution. New cones are affordable. Yes TOW has a good selection.

If or when buying replacement ones make sure to get the correct thread for your manufacture of shotgun. Like the others said. They are a wear item and about the cheapest thing we can buy so get and extra set or two.

Nipples are cheap. Buy two at least. I have been a fan of the Treso Ampco nipples, but the hardened steel ones from TOW are holding up well on my Pedersoli double that will eat the softer Hotshot nipples.
So should I get the ones labeled oversized and say they fit ccis?? Which one of the measurements is how tall the screw part is?Tow's nipple selection screen has always overwhelmed me a bit there's like 12 different 1/4x28 nipples. Mine is a pedersoli 12ga aswell. Did u get the .307 or .302 diameter base? My calipers don't goto the hundredth 🤦‍♂️

Thread journey is the answer to my 2nd question.

Last edited:
So should I get the ones labeled oversized and say they fit ccis?? Which one of the measurements is how tall the screw part is?Tow's nipple selection screen has always overwhelmed me a bit there's like 12 different 1/4x28 nipples. Mine is a pedersoli 12ga aswell. Did u get the .307 or .302 diameter base? My calipers don't goto the hundredth 🤦‍♂️

I just use the ‘standard’ 1/4-28 nipple. I believe the oversized ones you are referring to are intended for damaged threaded holes in the breech plug.

You may want to call TOW and ask them if you are not sure about any of their products. They tend to be very helpful.

Go ahead and spend $25 to $35 for some calipers that can measure to 0.001". At that your calipers can measure the overall length and be pretty close to the overall length listed in the TotW catalog. I think most Pedersoli nipples are threaded for 1/4-28. Track can help there to get the proper cone height as well as the Pedersoli web site. It seems as if the Pedersoli nipples are sized for the RWS 1075 caps, which are slightly smaller than CCI #11. The RWS caps will fit the slightly larger cones of a nipple sized for CCI #11. The cone height is the height from the top of the thread journal to the top of the cone. This includes the flats for the nipple wrench.

I just use the ‘standard’ 1/4-28 nipple. I believe the oversized ones you are referring to are intended for damaged threaded holes in the breech plug.

You may want to call TOW and ask them if you are not sure about any of their products. They tend to be very helpful.
For sure I called them I'm using the same as u

You have calipers that won’t measure 2 decimal places?

You have calipers that won’t measure 2 decimal places?
Which hash mark is the thousandths again? I forget.
IMG_20240311_215133917.jpg

If it's a problem with the caps that you may have with other guns then order some of the plastic "cap keepers" along with the nipples. They also help weatherproof your nipples.

Back