• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

#10 vs #11 percussion caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hesp

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have a bunch of #10 percussion caps. Problem is my Lyman Great Plains 54 rifle takes a #11 cap. If I chucked up my GP nipple in my drill press & sanded it down with some 600 grit emery cloth till the #10 caps fit.., Good idea, bad idea ?? #11's have been a bit hard to come by..

I have a bunch of #10 percussion caps. Problem is my Lyman Great Plains 54 rifle takes a #11 cap. If I chucked up my GP nipple in my drill press & sanded it down with some 600 grit emery cloth till the #10 caps fit.., Good idea, bad idea ?? #11's have been a bit hard to come by..
Scheels in Missoula had cci# 11 and #11 magnums a couple months ago if that helps any.

I saw Scheels in Missoula has #11 caps, $9.99 a tin. Plus they are almost 60 miles away. If the #10 caps have the same force as the #11 I am willing to sand down the exulting nipple to fit the #10's. I have other extra nipples for the #11's when I get them.

I had the good fortune when I went back to the motherland..nj and visited the sports shop i frequented while living there they had a left over case of #11 which I took back down south. $79 for a thousand. yeah ok im greedy...

Problem where I'm at , no local sporting goods store.. Lots of local critters. Always smiling as they walk by. None are packing tins of caps.

Attachments

• 5.10.2023  one fanner 003.JPG
    5.10.2023 one fanner 003.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
I’ll trade you some tins of #11 for those #10’s…we have the opposite challenge around here. Can’t find #10’s anywhere

@Hesp

Last edited:
I’ll trade you some tins of #11 for those #10’s…we have the opposite challenge around here. Can’t find #10’s anywhere

@Hesp
I'd be glad to trade. Problem is the shipping. Haz mat fee. if you have the license to begin with. Then the cost of shipping. An impossible situation. If we were close by it would be a done deal..

I'd be glad to trade. Problem is the shipping. Haz mat fee. if you have the license to begin with. Then the cost of shipping. An impossible situation. If we were close by it would be a done deal..
I have 1,000 Cci #11 magnums in Dillon for trade if you get over this way.

Thanks. Sounds great, just never get that far out. Will probably breakdown & pick up a tin next time I'm in Missoula , at Scheels. If they still have them. $9.99. Ug!! hats 10 cents a piece. Have no idea when I will get to Missoula . Life goes on...

Hesp---You didn't mention what brand of caps you are using. You indicate the #10's wouldn't fit on your Lyman nipples but #11 would. If you're talking CCI 10's you bet they won't fit, they don't fit on most nipples out on the market be it on rifles, handguns, except a few small caliber .32's and less. The inside diameter of CCI 10's is way less than CCI 11's, Reminton 10 and 11's and RWS 1075's fit tighter than a tick making seating them to be needed if possible, with a wooden dowl. This IMO makes for capping hazardous with a loaded firearm. Before knowing the difference I bought five tins of CCI #10's and they fit nothing I had, still have them, don't know of anyone who can use them.

A Remington #10, CCI #11, and RWS 1075 all have very close internal dimensions, but the Rem #10's have a longer skirt that fits over the outside of the nipple. This makes them very helpful esp with revolvers as the fired cap stays on the nipple better after firing and to stay on a rifle nipple really well before firing which is esp helpful while hunting. I use Rem 10's for probably 90% of my shooting. Rem #11's have a shorter skirt than Rem 10's, CCI 11's, and RWS 1075's but work will on most revolvers and rifles, but with the shorter skirt don't stay on the nipple as well after firing.. Can't really say anything about shotguns but assume all of the previous I wrote is probably true, but I don't shoot caplock scatterguns but any reputable chart can give you the skinny.

Yes they are CCI 10;s. Just decided I will keep them. I have lots of 400 & 600 grit emery cloth. Simple to sand one nipple down to accept the #10 cap. Then I will have nipples for 10 or 11 size caps. Best of both worlds. Thanks all for your help.

If you use 600 grit it will take a long time and will probably not keep the taper straight. Get a small mill file or look around and get a # 10 cap with a 1/4 28 thd.

Latest posts

Back