• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

#11 Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supply and demand. You demanded, they supplied. Works a designed. What we NEED is competition and there isn't none right now. I'm set for caps and ordered the 22lr cap maker with which I plan to play with this winter. Per Joe it gonna be a long cold winter (like last one? I hope not, another virus could do us in). Not sure what Joe meant but here in N AZ we had the snowiest season in recorded history. I could do that again idf within a foot or two. Dang near got tired of snow. But I got a new blower soooo?

I've been demanding for several years now but the small supply I find is a few here and there at the gun shows.

Got a deal on these at a gun show last month, they look like they're from the good old days of the 1970s.

There were supposed to be 10 of these plastic cans of caps in the brick but there were only nine and then one of them was completely empty.

But I'm thankful I got some caps anyhow

Attachments

• IMG_20231209_110235_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231209_110235_HDR.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Yea I figured better than not. I have a good supply and I plan on getting one of those cap kits as well. I’m in South Florida and dream of snow as we had a “ cold front” come in last night that brought us to a chilly 60 deg this morning Ha Ha!!! Yesterday I was snipe hunting in the mid 80’s so I’ll take that cold front when I can and also the pup appreciates it as well!!! I put those caps in a vacuums food sealer with a silicone pack, it has worked so far!!!

After looking all over and only hearing of available caps after they were all gone I finally found 3 tins of 250 RWSs from Graf & Sons. Quite pricey but I got some. These are the 1075 #11’s. I guess if I can get a few like that every so often I will always have enough for hunting season!
Powder, Inc. Has RWS and RWS+. $220 and $225 per 1000, based on what I see hazmat and shipping included. So, 22 cents a cap. Didn’t used to worry if I dropped one, but now I bend over to recover one if it can be found. About twice the cost of primers for brass casings. CCI, Winchester and Remington are no where to be found available for mail order. KYGUNCO has CCI at 2 locations for in store purchase only. And then the rare Walmart that still gets them. Very disappointed that the NMLRA hasn’t shown its members they have contacted manufacturers for answers to these shortages.

Last edited:
I've been demanding for several years now but the small supply I find is a few here and there at the gun shows.

Got a deal on these at a gun show last month, they look like they're from the good old days of the 1970s.

There were supposed to be 10 of these plastic cans of caps in the brick but there were only nine and then one of them was completely empty.

But I'm thankful I got some caps anyhow
The old Alcans are good caps. I still have a sleeve of Alcan #12 caps that my dad and I bought in about 1968, with maybe five or six tins left. The cardboard sleeve looks just like yours, and the cap tin labels are the same except for the size designation and color-code. I still have a few #12 nipples in .250”-28, which Dad probably got either from Bannerman or Dixie. I put one of those nipples in my John Bergmann Hawken in my most recent trip to the range, and the 55 year old caps still worked like new.

Number 12 caps used to be pretty much standard for sporting guns. I’m not sure when the #11 size assumed that role.

I don’t know what you paid or traded for your Alcan #11 caps, but if rumors about current CCI quality control issues are true, your old caps are probably better than the new ones. RWS seems to have kept their quality up, and they are available, but folks still seem to want CCIs. I’d take your old Alcans over new CCIs any day.

Remington caps are as elusive as Sasquatch these days. The Remington website appears to indicate they are in production, but I haven’t seen any for sale. I’d like to try some of the new Remington caps if the become available.

Notchy Bob

Graft only allowed a 3 tin purchase but only had 5 tins left when I ordered these and said they didn’t know when the next would be in!

I do have the Remington 11s from about 5 or 6 years ago and they work great. I have them in the food vacume bags with silicone packs as well.

That explains why Grafs had none last night when I looked. Got some a few months ago and still haven't tried them. I notice the Swiss powder is mostly out of stock there too atm.

So many stories and historical accounts I've read through my life of the good old days where people were debating whether or not to go to the new percussion cap system.

What if you lose your caps ? won't be able to far your rifle.
what if you lose your Flint ? you won't be able to far your rifle you stupid &#@!!

yeah but I can always get another Flint I can't always get more caps.

Years ago I was trying to get some lock pieces together and convert a Hawkin that I had to a flintlock , as with so many things, spent too much time working and watching TV when I wasn't working and never got the project done.

I need to get a good flintlock anyhow, might as well do it before we completely run out of caps all together.

All the chat earlier in the year about CCI starting production of the caps I believe it was June and only heard of a few people actually being able to get them. Graf said they never got any. I had “notify me” all over and never received one. Last year Bass Pro in Maryland just outside Baltimore had a bunch in November but they never had any this year. One member found a few at a Walmart in Orlando FL but I did a trip to NC and checked every Walmart up Rt95 from Ft Myers FL and never found one tin. Does anyone have any info on what happened to them or was it all talk from CCI.

I checked about 10 Walmarts all summer here in AZ and not one had any. A few ladies I asked found them to be available on line but no managers would order. I could not find them on line at walmart.com. make buddy's with a chemistry major.... We may need him for allot of stuff in the days ahead.

I guess I got lucky. Two weeks ago I was able to get 2000 CCI #11's from Bass Pro online for about $14/tin of 100. And just ordered 25# FFFg from Buffalo arms. A lot of money to drop at once but I figure it will not get cheaper or more readily available so I am set for a few years now. Also you spend less in hazmat and shipping overall by buying in bulk.

Last edited:
I checked constantly at several Walmarts thru the summer and found some here and there. Not a lot, tho…

I checked with the customer service folks at one to see about ordering some, and when they looked it up, it came back as “Item not available for special order.”

Very disappointed that the NMLRA hasn’t shown its members they have contacted manufacturers for answers to these shortages.
NMLRA member here. I read that another member asked a CCI representative at an event why no caps. The CCI rep got insulted, said they are full bore producing millions and if you cant find it’s your fault. So someone is blowing smoke and its not BP smoke.

I’m thinking CCI is the Chimney because there just not many and to the ones here that have found some a big Congratulations!!!

If they’re producing, why aren’t major distributors like Grafs, Midsouth, Powder Valley, MidwayUSA getting any?

I’m signed up for email alerts at all those places and NOT ONE peep out of any of them for CCI caps, even at exaggerated pricing.

Somethin’ be rotten in Denmark!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back