• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wooden Flint?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericb

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Need to do some dry firing to work on trigger technique for a heavy pull trigger. To this end I was thinking of making a Dummy Flint out of Wood, to spare the Frizzen. Anybody have any feedback or other ideas for Dry Fire practice??

Eric

Using a wood 'flint' for dry firing a flintlock is a well known training tip. Saves both flints and steel while getting used to both trigger pull and visible motions of the lock. Go for it.

ericb said:
Dummy Flint out of Wood

I tried that several years ago 'just because'...wanted to use a piece of good hard wood but didn't seem to find a scrap handy...got the idea of using a piece of wood off one of those 'spring clothespins' as they use pretty hard wood, are close to the right size, etc.

Took one apart and snapped a piece off one of the halves right at the weakest point where it was thinned down to make room for its coil spring.
Didn't do another thing to it, just clamped it in the jaws and it worked great!

I've seen posted but have not tried, the idea about getting one of those flat erasers we used way back in school...each end is already cut at a 45* angle, just cut the length to fit...

Done. Thanx Coot & Roundball. Found a Broken Red Oak "Basket Maker" Atlatl in the scrap pile, just the right width & thickness. Cut out a section, beveled an edge, & KlackaKlacka. Works great.

Have a Charleville Musket with very heavy pull (very crisp, but heavy) & I don't really wanna doctor the lock, at least not yet. Want to keep it as "GI Issue" as possible, so I'm experimenting with some different trigger pull techniques. Need just a little more control over when she goes off if I wanna compete; she's a shooter though...

Eric

I put wood "flints" in my jaws between range sessions for regular dry-firing practice. I put a small target on one of the walls of my house and practice my trigger pull in an off-hand position. I find it has helped me quite a bit.

Trench said:
I put wood "flints" in my jaws between range sessions for regular dry-firing practice. I put a small target on one of the walls of my house and practice my trigger pull in an off-hand position. I find it has helped me quite a bit.
Me too, but I made mine out of teak ... no way that suckers going to break! For even better "dry firing", go outside, prime the pan only with a real flint install, balance a penny on the barrel and hold it there, cock, aim, squeeze and follow thru whilst the pan goes off ...

Uhhhhh, don't try this indoors :hmm:

Back