• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gluing leather to flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Acra-Glas bedding compound had been available in the 18th, 19th, and early 20th centuries, you can be assured gunsmiths and gunmakers the world over would have used an ocean of it.

Oh I don't know....For some, certainly. For others the whole point is to shoot a score of 50 5X off hand at 50 yards.

Or a 4 X with a smoothbore…😁

C93F55A4-18C5-41E6-9BC7-F515F805484F.jpeg

Rest In Peace , Mr Tip🙏

...and this is how we got inlines...
Ever seen and inline flint gun? They were made and were quite efficient for foul weather shooting as a hood slid over and enclosed the lock and pan. There are no current inline flint guns being made commercially and yet they existed in the old days. There is no more direct connection between inline percussion ignition and traditional flint lock ignition than between any other flint and percussion systems
The point is to maintain a system we all have a love for as efficiently as possible and still stay with in the bounds of traditional style and function.

Last edited:
Ever seen and inline flint gun? They were made and were quite efficient for foul weather shooting as a hood slid over and enclosed the lock and pan. There are no current inline flint guns being made commercially and yet they existed in the old days. There is no more direct connection between inline percussion ignition and traditional flint lock ignition than between any other flint and percussion systems
The point is to maintain a system we all have a love for as efficient as possible and still stay with in the bounds of traditional style and function.
I have seen ONE 18th century inline flintlock. I wouldn't say they were common... Probably less than a 1/2 dozen made in the entire history of the world.....THE WHOLE WORLD! :ghostly:

I have seen ONE 18th century inline flintlock. I wouldn't say they were common... Probably less than a 1/2 dozen made in the entire history of the world.....THE WHOLE WORLD! :ghostly:
Now how could you possibly put a number on how many were made. The point is that the technology existed and was emplimented into a functioning fire arm.

Oh them poor old slobs in the 18th century. What hardship! What travail! And just think...that's all they had! Oh, the humanity! 🤣🤣🤣
They also were very practical and took advantage of every technological advantage they could. All of them could make a gun from scratch but most made use of commercial locks when they became available as well as barrel blanks and even commercial scalps to forge there own barrels.

I managed to not use it for nearly 400 guns. Is that good or bad?

You are a modern builder. From your posts here, you don't use PC finishes, build from pre-inlets, use modern steel parts, artificially age many of your guns, and so forth.

Is it good or bad? It doesn't mean anything except you chose not to take advantage of an available product, that is all.

The use of accraglass when making a muzzleloader shows sloppy craftsmanship and/or lack of proper skill. Just my opinion of course. I use and teach traditional skills so my perspective may be different than some.
I suppose it may have some limited use in repair of broken or cracked stocks.

Latest posts

Back