• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock and Flints Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the frizzen is bouncing off the flint arch and reengaging periodically in the stroke.

That's because the lower jaw needs to be raised about 1/8" higher and then angled down to hold the flint at rest just like it does now so it will "slice" like Hanshi says. I tried creating the same effect with a tapered, aluminum lower jaw shoe and it sure helped but I'd have to bend the cock too and make a flat shoe to keep it from spitting out the flint.

I love it. Go to the trouble to make a video for a guy and never hear from him again.

That's because the lower jaw needs to be raised about 1/8" higher and then angled down to hold the flint at rest just like it does now so it will "slice" like Hanshi says. I tried creating the same effect with a tapered, aluminum lower jaw shoe and it sure helped but I'd have to bend the cock too and make a flat shoe to keep it from spitting out the flint.

I love it. Go to the trouble to make a video for a guy and never hear from him again.
I had to heat and bend the cock on a Yazel match pistol to get it to work right but it now does. The main thing is to keep the bearing axis square/ parallel to the frizzen face laterally and a proper length flint should begin to engage and shear steel about a third the way down the frizzen.
Don't try to cold bend them as it will very often crack partially or completely. I have checked the heat treat on them with a spring loaded prick punch and caliper , measuring the dimple diameter and comparing it to the same in annealed mild carbon steel. The cock is partially hardened but I do not have an exact Rockwell C scale number to give.
I did not re-harden the cock arm not knowing the cast steel alloy numbers but did keep the heat local to the bend, mid arm with heat control paste . The cock arm is holding the reformed shape and is working well.

Last edited:
Jim replied up a few. He said to contact them and they will solve your problem ... easy peasy.

I paid a lot of cash for a Montana built Sharps years ago and they were fabulous to work with on the used 74 I had acquired

Back