• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How Long Do You Expect A Frizzen To Last ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a frizzen that would not spark at all. They sell a replacement but they are different than the one I have. I took my original one and refaced it with a razor blade from a 4 inch razor scraper.
I ground the face of the frizzen down about .030 and cut the razor blade a little bigger than the size of the frizzen. I ruffed up the back side of the razor blade a little with a Dremel. Got the best steel epoxy I could find. Put the 2 together and clamped with vise grips. The next day I took the Dremel and cleaned up the edges. Has been sparking ever since.
If it quits sparking again I will buy a replacement lock from L&R.

Everyone seems to blame the frizzen hardness when their lock stops sparking. How many of them actually test to see how hard it is compared to another lock that sparks well? Maybe 1 in 20.

I remember reading somewhere that the British soldiers packed a extra frizzen in their kit. Thus they could change it out if it quit sparking well. Many if not all of the outdoorsmen carried a extra frizzen or two as well.

Depends on the way the lock was manufactured. My most fired gun, a flint longrifle has a Pete Allen built Siler lock. Couldn't begin to estimate how many shots have been fired with it over 50 years. Lock, frizzen and all are still as fine as new. But, I have had less happy success with some others, especially foreign made. The lock on my Pedersoli (kit) Brown Bess had way less than 10% of the shots than my longrifle but the frizzen wore through and went soft on me. I used Kasenite to reharden.

We have had a lot of discussion on how long a flint will last or how many shots one should expect to get from a flint.
My question is how many shots should I expect from a well hardened frizzen face before it needs to either be re hardened or re faced ?
I do a lot of in house practice with my firearms and use a wooden "flint" when dry firing my flintlocks to keep the wear down .
I'm still waiting for the answer to how many licks does it take to get to the inside of the tootsie pop.

Latest posts

Back