• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Long Do You Expect A Frizzen To Last ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't really need a forge or much in the way of blacksmithing skills to use Kaseknit. You DO need a large hot fire that you can keep going for several hours and some kind of crucible to put the frizzen and the Kaseknit in. If you know somebody who has a furnace that burns coal, that makes a good heat source... cast iron wood stove will work too.

Probably easier to learn the rudiments of 'smithing, get a cheap Amazon forge and forge a spring steel frizzen. Expect a high scrap ratio until you get the hang of things. You might be able to fashion one out of an old leaf spring.

I've got an old T/C Renegade flinter. So far have not noticed any issues. Don't really expect any during what remains of my life.
Coal stove fire is a good option. It's just now getting cold enough to fire up the Buck coal stove. I switched from wood to coal and fired it up last night. It's nice having a forge in the den when you need it.
IMG_20221115_173758_898.jpg

I have the same gun in .50, how did the frizzen fail?
I managed to sneak up on a deer and when I pulled the trigger there was no spark. I bought a new frizzen from Flintlocks etc. and it worked until the half cack notch gave up. I welded up the tumbler and recut the notch, and used Casenit on it. The third time the notch broke I gave up on the lock because I was told that my model was too old and locks were no longer available for it. I found a lock from an Ultra Hi pistol that is real close and I am going to try to fit it in.

Back