• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gluing leather to flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, now I’m convinced….

6CE2A5EB-8AE6-4297-A4DA-BFD77AE5E891.jpeg

Gluing leather too a flint is not for me……👀

Maybe the Mods will make a “sticky “ note out of this thread….🥴

I really appreciate the idea behind this thread. I have a very fine flinter made with a siler lock an too many time on the trail I find a target an damn....no rock. I have been at this game for nearly 50 yrs now but I truly like to hear any and all ideas on trapping that darn rock! I hope to continue to learn something here! :)

They also were very practical and took advantage of every technological advantage they could. All of them could make a gun from scratch but most made use of commercial locks when they became available as well as barrel blanks and even commercial scalps to forge there own barrels.
I was chewing on this some more today and got the idea to try some of my rosin powder I use in my barrel vice for removing barrels from modern actions. When compressed the rosin powder becomes solid and really grips what ever shape it is molded to. This should work on both sides of the leather to grip both the cock jaws and flint !
I bet a Dr. Pepper this is not original thought and the old dead guys used it as well !

Last edited:
If Acra-Glas bedding compound had been available in the 18th, 19th, and early 20th centuries, you can be assured gunsmiths and gunmakers the world over would have used an ocean of it.
If unmentionable ARs and multi round magazines had been available in the 18th century you can be assured everyone would be shooting them instead of muzzleloaders🥱

After reading through 6 pages of "To Glue or Not To Glue" it has become apparent that is really boils down to the fact that there are Two Types of shooters out there:

1) Those that have picked up a muzzleloader to experience the romance of their past, to learn the ins and outs of owning, shooting, and maintaining them. To learn the forgotten art that our forefathers once took for granted.

2) Those that think they are just junk guns but maybe they can reinvent it, possibly write a book on how they 'improved it' and make a some quick bucks.

For me; I prefer the #1 group for that is what drew me into muzzleloaders. I have no care to 'improve' on something that has evolved for already for centuries then became 'Obsolete' and replaced by what we now call "unmentionables" in this forum.
We use modern materials in building our new 'replicas' of the past for pretty much the same reason we can not 'truly' re-live (reenact) Living History...some foods and materials just are not around anymore.

Sure I can pour motor oil and synthetics down my barrel, I can use non-lead 'safe' projectiles (hey, maybe even Smurf RB so no one gets hurt!). Or I could simply empty all my Dangerous explosive powders so they don't blow me up, dull all those dangerously sharp flints, and just hang it on the wall and go shoot my AR (unmentionables) and try to 'improve' them.

Nope; I have 'Muzzleloaders', I want to learn how those back in the day used to put meat on the table, kept garments from their crops, and enjoyed a day shoot at the local county fair (maybe even win a cup doll or turkey).

The only thing that needs to be improved on my muzzleloaders is: Me

Latest posts

Back