• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to go near Gettysburg

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poor Private

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I am traveling to Gettysburg in July for the 150th comemoration of the battle(big reenactment). I am looking for out of the way places or gun shops that the tourists don't usually go to. Either in towns nearby, or within a short distance.

Dixon's Muzzle loader shop is about 90 minutes NE of G-burg, just off I-78 near the Krumsville exit. (If you go stop at Dietrich's Meats in Krumsville) Ft Chambers gun shop is about 35 minutes west along I-81 at the Scotland exit

Stop at Ft Frederick outside Williamsport Md, not far off I-70, maybe 80 minutes SW of G-burg. it is a great old stone fort built for frontier defense in the F&I war. Used also in the Rev War and Civil War. Baltimore and Ft McHenry is 70 minutes SE of G-burg. Valley Forge is about 2.5 hours drive east of G-burg.

There are a lot of little mom and pop gun shops, but in these days of the internet, it is hard to find any deals or treasures.

Winchester VA has some shops that cater to the NSSA crowd at Ft Shenadoah, Back Creek is one,

There are some great Farmer's Markets and flea markets in the area. I bought up several muzzle loaders at flea markets and yard sales last fall.

The farmers Market at Thomsville is large, same for the Green Dragon (Fridays) at Ephrata and Roots (Tuesdays) south of Mannheim.

There are literally hundreds of places within two hours with all kinds of historical ties. The Conrad Weiser Homestead, Dan'l Boone's Birthplace, the Cornwall Ore Mines, (made cannon for the rev war) The State Museum in Hbg, the National Civil war Museum in Harrisburg (sort of a joke but they have some items) The Town of Hershey with the choc factory and amusement park, Harper's Ferry national historic sight, Antietam Battle field, Washington DC, Mt Vernon, Gunston Hall,

I have lived here all my life and haven't seen much of what there is to see. Heck, I am just seven miles south of where the citizens burned the bridge over the Susq to keep the rebs out of Lancaster.

Try Redding's Hardware right in town.

You never know what you may find in there.

There is a shop just south of Gettysburg in Taneytown Md, just run 194 south, cross the state line, go through the light in Taneytown, and at the bottom of the hill they are on the right. Lock, Stock and Barrel I think is the name of that one. That is about half an hour from the center of Gettysburg.

There are the big box outfitters in the area if you are wanting to drive an hour or so. If you are going to Dixon's you may as well hit Cabela's and Bass Pro, because you will pass both.

As for things to see, a 15 minute drive west of town on will take you to the Mary Jemison(sp) site, it is just a marker but still it is something to see. Further west is the Thadeus Stevens blacksmith shop, and Caledonia State Park, great hiking, and fishing, and way cooler in temperature in July than the low country of Adams County. There are two lakes to swim in and a public pool that I recommend staying away from, it gets crazy crowded.

A short ride south will hit Cunningham Falls State Park in MD, as well as Catoctin Zoo.

A ride east will take you to New Oxford Pa, a town so full of antique stores that the only thing new in town is the name.

Keep the ideas coming. What I am trying to avaoid is the 10k of reenactors, and the 60k of tourists who are going to be there at the same time.

Poor Private said:
Keep the ideas coming. What I am trying to avaoid is the 10k of reenactors, and the 60k of tourists who are going to be there at the same time.

I just looked closer at the Lord Nelson Gallery site, and something doesn't come through. On visiting you'll discover some of the nicest horns, knives and beadwork you'll ever see, and a book section that will get into your wallet, even if you can't go the freight for one of those horns and knives.

You'll recognize some of the paintings from the magazine covers printed from them, and it's sure nice to see them measured in feet rather than inches.

Ended up getting a parking ticket the first time I stopped there for "a few minutes" and didn't stick enough coins in the meter. Funny thing is, every trip since I STILL get parking tickets because I run overtime every single time. :doh:

Poor Private said:
You really think the turnout will be that low?

:rotf:

Well there are goign to be 2 reenactments a week apart. I am going to the GAC ones not the BlueNGray which is at the incorrect time they are holding it in June instead of July. So it's going to be a divided amount of troops. So I figure there will only be 10k at the one I am going to.

You prob'ly knew this one already.

Cashtown Inn, where the Rebs camped coming in....
http://www.cashtowninn.com/index.html

cashtown5.jpg

cashtown2.jpg

seriouswork.jpg

cashtown3.jpg

southmountainroad2.jpg

southmountainroad1.jpg

It will be packed too no doubt, but take the old Chambersburg highway that runs past its door and you'll be closer to the 1863 route, prettier too.

And the intersection with the main highway up over the mountain brings you out right on the Mary Jemison Marker.

jemison2.jpg

Can't find the pics just now, but Greencastle just a couple of exits south of Chambersburg was where the citizens defied Rebel slave catchers (a dark side of Lee's army not often talked about) and flipped the bird at the ANV.

IIRC Custer and Stewart traded a some shots around there a few days later.

Birdwatcher

Last edited by a moderator:
Back