• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Adding an APERTURE to your glasses so you can SEE the sights!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, like many of us I'm sure, my vision - even corrected with eyeglasses - is NOT what it used to be. You may have seen these Merit Company optical apertures that stick onto your eyeglasses or shooting glasses, like shown below. To me they have a few drawbacks, including that they are expensive, are tough to position or re-position and most importantly, they fall off in cccccccolder climates or in temp changes. like when you leave the cold range to go inside to a warmer environment.

merit.jpg

Here's my solution, and what I've done to improve my ability to "see the sights"! One caveat - You may find better results with NON-progressive lenses, as neither of these pairs of my personal shooting glasses to follow are 'no line progressives'. On those, the optical center is soooooooo tight and narrow, that even without the attached aperture, seeing the sights can be problematic. With progressives of any higher stregnth, if you don't look straight on to a subject ... you can't see it clearly. If you yourself do OK with progressives ... then God bless you and consider yourself VERY lucky!

8F377FCC-8838-4936-A021-613F0CE5FA3B.jpeg

Note I am left-handed, hence the aperture of electrical tape is placed on my left eye, my master eye. The modern pair above are a single-line bifocal and I use them shooting high-power shoots on SATs with an ... uhmmmmmm, an M1 Garand. My ability to see the sights now places me in the top 3 shooters each week, usually rotating who got the #1 spot only by the # of X's shot. The other pair is a set of fairly period correct (less the plastic nose pads) glasses from Avalon Forge that just have a single distance (I am near-sighted) Rx prescription in them.

I have never had one of my homemade apertures come off, but if they did, I also made a 'cheat sheet' template for each pair to allow me to quickly affix a replacement aperture right in the same spot. I just overlay my glasses to the template and position it so that the 'hole" is over the black dot as shown. This aperture goes on the inside of the lens and I've had no issues with movement or falling off, even when shooting in temps < 20-degrees F and going into warmer places, nor when cleaning the glasses.

7A6E8438-02EF-46F1-814E-7606DA4B4F2A.jpeg

Note the 'red dot' on these other pictures. This is the optical center of the lens, and whether they tell you or not, the optical house grinds the Rx prescription to this point for where YOU look through, when they take that measurement for 'how far' yor pupils are apart. However, whilst shooting for the majority of the shooters, we do not and cannot, look through the optical center whilst shooting, due to how we cheek the stock. That is why the aperture once affixed is positioned closer to your nose, whether you are RH'd or LH'd.

5787CE7E-E16F-49B3-AF37-CECB50FF08C2.jpeg

Tip - I make a smaller hole on the modern glasses I use for all shooting, less that strictly for my MZL events or those where I have period clothing on. The smaller holes improves my sight picture, but gives me a narrower field of view, but it is excellent for ‘fixed distance/open range use. I find the larger field of view via a little bit larger aperture hole works better with the round lens of the ‘old time' glasses and is much better for use in the woods, like whilst on MZL woodswalks, also where conditions could be shades to dark(er).

Anyways ... I sure hope this info helps someone else out! Tight groups!

Last edited:
How do you locate the hole?
That is what has held back from me trying to make something. I don't think I'd have the patience to keep taking the tape off and relocating it.

Someone might be able to use the Specialty Archery aperture sights. Not sure how. But I'm sure someone has an ingenious idea how to use them on a rifle.

Trial & error, trial & error … but you can take a Sharpie marker and point/touch it to the outside of your glasses, in line with the front sight, when you are looking down the sights of a rifle. Alcohol will remove the mark.

You may also need to experiment with what size hole works for you!

I don't wear glasses, so I'll need to find something that will work for my plastic shooting glasses.

Maybe I can simply take a small piece of paper, put a hole in it, then move it around til it works. Then hold it in place while I remove the glasses and find something that won't mar plastic to mark the hole. Maybe lipstick?

Ya got me thinking on it.

Someone might be able to use the Specialty Archery aperture sights. Not sure how. But I'm sure someone has an ingenious idea how to use them on a rifle.
I used one of those for years when I shot competitive archery they just connect to your glasses and they do help and I wasn't that old then. They just make it easier to concentrate on the target. I tried them a few times for hunting but didn't care for them.
Even at 70+, I still just use standard open sight for hunting.

My shooting glasses are polycarbonate, as I would believe most would be to survive a potential impact. Maybe a dry erase marker would be non-marring?

That's a thought. Or maybe a white grease pencil?
Something... I'll try it out on an old pair of safety glasses first.

I have the Merit and shoot with it all the time in competition. It makes the sights soooo much easier to see. The electrical tape thing works and it was what convinced me to drop the coin on a Merit. Sadly, Merit is out of business but there is an almost identical unit made by Gehmann.

I don't wear glasses, so I'll need to find something that will work for my plastic shooting glasses.

Maybe I can simply take a small piece of paper, put a hole in it, then move it around til it works. Then hold it in place while I remove the glasses and find something that won't mar plastic to mark the hole. Maybe lipstick?

Ya got me thinking on it.
Use a dry erase marker

Try Stenopeic glasses, the ones with all the tiny pinholes in. I bought a pair mid last year for pistol shooting following advice from my eye Doctor (long term condition). They gave me a pair at the Eye Hospital which were real cheapies so I bought what I thought was a better pair from eBay, they were identical!!
I blanked out the right side with tape and they do make a difference for me, worth a try?
By the way I have to shoot right hand left eye, took some getting used to but alright now...

I have a merit and just don't like fiddling around with things like that, tried the electric tape on my eyeglass lens and though I cut it as small as I could, I still found it distracting for every other chore that must be done before actually shooting the gun. I finally bought a set of those flip up, clip on sunglasses, ground a good sized hole in the shooting eye lens, covered that hole with electric tape and burned a pin hole in it. After the shot I flip it up and get down to business.
Use whatever works for ya, and you're comfortable with, don't give up, keep shooting!
Robby

Still have trouble with my vision at 100 yds but at 50 with this
I use the same thing, flip it up when loading, back down when shooting.

I have tried everything I think, The Gehmann iris diopter, Gehmann flip down block with a hole in it, the Lyman and tape. The above works the best for me.

That is what has held back from me trying to make something. I don't think I'd have the patience to keep taking the tape off and relocating it.
have a friend take a 1/4" wood dowel that is straight dab a little lipstick on the end and while sighting the rifle have them lay the dowel on the sights and just touch your lens now its in perfect position

Back