• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Adding an APERTURE to your glasses so you can SEE the sights!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s pretty much the same spot mine ends up. Haven’t tried trimming mine yet.

I'm telling ya, it was a last resort to trim it. But I like these glasses better than my old Simmons wire framed from the early eighties.
I should probably pick up another pair while they are still available.

I'm telling ya, it was a last resort to trim it. But I like these glasses better than my old Simmons wire framed from the early eighties.
I should probably pick up another pair while they are still available.
I think it’s a good idea that trim it. Especially since mine overlaps that inside corner frame too. I’ll be doing some shooting this week and try the trim.

I think it’s a good idea that trim it. Especially since mine overlaps that inside corner frame too. I’ll be doing some shooting this week and try the trim.

Has it ever come off on its own?
I was wondering how it handled heat and cold. I'm not even sure what is holding it on. It didn't feel sticky. And it's not one of those silicon things. I don't recall the instructions saying anything. Or if I was supposed to set it before sticking it on.

I have done something similar in the past, but used opaque Scotch tape. The opaque tape allows you to see through it, but the center hole is the only clear spot. The eye finds it naturally for shooting, but you don't lose as much general vision as you do with black or other dark tape.

Also, my shooting glasses were specially ground to have the optical center moved to the upper inside corner on my shooting side (left) lens. when my head is down on the stock, the best clarity is right where the sights are. Pretty neat. It was recommended by my optometrist, who is also a shooter.

ADK Bigfoot

Has it ever come off on its own?
I was wondering how it handled heat and cold. I'm not even sure what is holding it on. It didn't feel sticky. And it's not one of those silicon things. I don't recall the instructions saying anything. Or if I was supposed to set it before sticking it on.
Mine hasn’t come off yet, even with the edge over the frame. I didn’t see any real instructions on it either.

I have done something similar in the past, but used opaque Scotch tape. The opaque tape allows you to see through it, but the center hole is the only clear spot.
Hmmmmmm, I may have to try that. If I kick your arse in the next flintlock competition, and I have opaque tape on my glasses .... oh well, that's on you!

have a friend take a 1/4" wood dowel that is straight dab a little lipstick on the end and while sighting the rifle have them lay the dowel on the sights and just touch your lens now its in perfect position
Jeezum, ain't you just a brave soul! Most of my "friends" would be too tempted to drive that sharpened dowel right inta m'eye! ;)

This was mine but since I had cataract surgery in Sept. I don't seem to need it anymore. At age 80 (almost) I can see sights and targets fine.
diopter.JPG

... you certainly don't want to see my ugly mug ... but here's what those period glasses look like in use. I can see fine when not shooting and really don't notice it at all. In fact, very few people have said anything like, "Hey, what's going on with your glasses or eye?"

View attachment 203002
You got a big black “L” on your face…. I had a merit, it fell off , and it was stomped into the concrete by a bystander. It worked great for target use.

Interesting approach; new to me, and something I intend to try out. :thumb:

I’m going to try some of these ideas.
great thread
FWIW since our weekly outdoor rain or snow or shine shoots started in OCT, I’ve placed in the top 3 spots shooting milsurp bolt actions offhand at 100-yards, taking 1st place at least 6-times as well as the last 4 weeks in a row. Even the Capt of our Club’s rifle team has taken notice of my improvement now that I can clearly see the front sight!

I also use the eyepal, you buy a set, one for pistol and one for rifle, I shoot iron sights on my swede M96 and it works wonders at 100 yds, makes me able to sharply see sights and target

Back