• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pair of .54 Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy all. I've always hunted deer with .50 and occasionally .45. I decided this year to go to .54 and try my luck with that. I've never had a problem with the other calibers, just wanted to bump up a notch. So I got on the dreaded gunbroker and scored a TC New Englander and an Investarms plains rifle. The New Englander has a plastic stock that will have to be changed but, considering it looks like it was rarely ever handled and was just $150, I figure I can either buy a used wood stock off ebay or have a custom one made from nice wood next year. In the mean time, I won't be using my New Englander shotgun during deer season, so I'll take the wood stock from it and temporarily put it on the rifle. I hate plastic stocks...

The Investarms is one I've been trying to find for a while. When I first started hunting with BP I bought a used long rifle from a pawn shop. It turned out to be junk so I went to Larry's Pistol and Pawn down in Huntsville and picked up a .50 Investarms. It was the first gun I hunted deer with and, apparently, I traded it off or sold it along the way. Can't remember what I ever did with it. But I've looked for another like it many times and couldn't find one. Any search for an Investarms always turns up plenty of Hawkens, but not one like this. Then this one popped up cheap a few weeks ago online. Looks just like the one I started with except it being a .54 instead of a .50. The TC is going to be the primary but I am looking forward to hunting with the Investarms. I think I will call it my PMGPR. Probably be my truck gun for the winter. Do any of you guys have an Investarms like this one and, if so, what are your thoughts on the reliability and accuracy of it? So far all I don't like about it is the shiny brass and the rubber butt pad. That will be changed shortly.

Attachments

• IMG_20230927_113041471_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230927_113041471_HDR.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20231002_162014156_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231002_162014156_HDR.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
I just traded an Investarms .50 sold through Cabelas for a reproduction Mississippi rifle. I don’t hunt but the Investarms was the most accurate of my eight or ten muzzleloaders. I still can’t shoot a Minié ball as accurately as a PRB with that .50.

I have/had many investarms over the years, mostly flintlocks, and have been good guns, I have no complaints. Currently have 5, 4 in .54 and 1 in .58, All shoot quite well and are my preferred production guns. Have gotten into the custom market recently so they don't get shot much anymore. Is only reason i'll look to thin the herd.

I'm getting back into hunting and target shooting. My back has gotten bad at 81 and I can't handle the 32" Hawken barrels I used to use. So, I noticed Investarms makes a Hawken Carbine with a 24" barrel. Sounds just right for my back. I'll get it in my usual .54 and use a PRB for a cow elk and muley buck next year.

Looking forward to blowing smoke again. Good luck with your new guns.

I'm getting back into hunting and target shooting. My back has gotten bad at 81 and I can't handle the 32" Hawken barrels I used to use. So, I noticed Investarms makes a Hawken Carbine with a 24" barrel. Sounds just right for my back. I'll get it in my usual .54 and use a PRB for a cow elk and muley buck next year.

Looking forward to blowing smoke again. Good luck with your new guns.
Thanks. When I bought that first Investarms .50 way back in 94, like the one pictured here, I also bought one of those Hawkens from them as well with the shorter barrel. Was a great and nice looking little rifle. Your back will thank you...

I agree. I love the GPR's and similar Hawkens but that's in the past for me. I have Osteoporosis and my back is bent over like i'm 100 years old. The 7 lb Carbine will feel much better and the elk will never know the difference.

I agree. I love the GPR's and similar Hawkens but that's in the past for me. I have Osteoporosis and my back is bent over like i'm 100 years old. The 7 lb Carbine will feel much better and the elk will never know the difference.
You'll luv it. I've had a 54 deerstalker for over 20 years, basically the same gun. Can't remember how many times I've hunted and taken game with it. I'll leave my fancy guns to my family, but I'm taking that one to my grave😁

LOL Maybe I will too. Even when I was younger and good shape I hated lugging a GPR around the Colorado Rockies.
There is an option b if you can find one and do a bit of work. Investarms used to make 28 long 15/16 58 cal barrels. 4 inches doesn't sound like much but add in the bigger bore (less weight) and the feel, handling of a gpr/hawken stock and they handle very well. Built and sold a couple in the past, finally putting my last one together for myself.
20231013_130716.jpg

There is an option b if you can find one and do a bit of work. Investarms used to make 28 long 15/16 58 cal barrels. 4 inches doesn't sound like much but add in the bigger bore (less weight) and the feel, handling of a gpr/hawken stock and they handle very well. Built and sold a couple in the past, finally putting my last one together for myself.View attachment 260600
Nice. I really like shorter barrels for hunting. A .58 in that stock would be pretty cool. I'm gonna put that .58 barrel in my list of stuff to keep an eye out for.

Smokeum.......... I already tried a 28" barrel on a tradition Woodsman. My back squawked big time. It really can't support a lot of weight in the front of the gun. So, I looked around and found the carbine and it should be perfect. Plus, I like that it's a LH. I think the cheek piece helps make the recoil feel better.

Thanks for the thought.

Back