• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jim & Barbie Chambers Where Are You?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never said it was an easily addressed problem! ;) I remember seeing pictures of all the vendors selling their goods out of the trunks of their cars in the old days. Simpler times eh?;).
I spent many a storm inside of my booth down there. I always wondered if this was the one that would take the place down.
How about bulldoze the heap down, back fill the entire area to bring it above flood level then allow any vendor to build a NMLRA approved building, like Tip Curtis did.
The DNR rules do not allow us to add backfill in the floodplain. Not sure how the Curtis building got past that one. Maybe it was done in the middle of the night. :).

At 17k per door did anyone consider locating the new outhouse somewhere above the flood plane? When I drove in there last April I couldn't believe I saw that building being built there. But I have learned to just shrug my shoulders and say "oh well" in the past 43 years.
It isn't anybodys fault that is living today but there couldn't be a worse place to build a national range. No solutions to many of the physical problems.

Built in a flood zone and now you're confused why there are issues with construction.
Why not sell the property and purchase a appropriate piece?
Never gonna change the flood zone map.
Never gonna get any cheaper to build on.
Sounds like you're paying for a anchor around the clubs neck there.

The DNR rules do not allow us to add backfill in the floodplain. Not sure how the Curtis building got past that one. Maybe it was done in the middle of the night. :).
Harold, are you sure you're not confusing "floodplain" with "floodway". Last I knew a floodway cannot be materially altered; but a building such as a pole barn or garage can be built in a "floodplain". Even a house can be built as long as the foundation of the inhabital portion is above a certain level.

Steve

Harold, are you sure you're not confusing "floodplain" with "floodway". Last I knew a floodway cannot be materially altered; but a building such as a pole barn or garage can be built in a "floodplain". Even a house can be built as long as the foundation of the inhabital portion is above a certain level.

Steve
Steve,
You are correct. Most of what we are discussing is property in the floodway. I only used the term as to not confuse some with false hope that there is a difference in our case.

Attachments

• Flood.png
    Flood.png
    894.3 KB · Views: 0
Call them up and have them email you a copy.
Someone always answers when I call (during business hours!).

I'm still waiting on responses to several emails sent over the last 12 months. Followed up with phone calls and still never got a response from whomever was supposed to know the answer. I got too busy to keep trying.

Just an additional thought, For "heath and safety concerns" you guys could spend a little money to address some of the issues with the existing structures in the vendor area, might help keep them full and result in less bitching-LOL

Steve

Built in a flood zone and now you're confused why there are issues with construction.
Why not sell the property and purchase a appropriate piece?
Never gonna change the flood zone map.
Never gonna get any cheaper to build on.
Sounds like you're paying for a anchor around the clubs neck there.
Would you buy a lead contaminated/hazardous piece of property predominately in a floodway?

Steve

Would you buy a lead contaminated/hazardous piece of property predominately in a floodway?

Steve
I was a land surveyor in Florida for 30 so maybe.
Just looking at the aerial above shows me potential but I am super stoopid so I have probably bought worse in the past.

Steve,
You are correct. Most of what we are discussing is property in the floodway. I only used the term as to not confuse some with false hope that there is a difference in our case.
Although I have seen the water quite high down there I have never seen it THAT high before. You might consider challenging the DNR on what is designated as "Floodway". You need to find a sympathetic high up Indiana politician that can make all of these problems go away. That is how things always get done.

I was a land surveyor in Florida for 30 so maybe.
Just looking at the aerial above shows me potential but I am super stoopid so I have probably bought worse in the past.
LOL, Alex, I see possibilites too, You could turn it into a venue for rock concerts/loveins. camping area on the Walter Kline range and hillside in the primitive camping area would be perfect seating area for the concert, similar to Woodstock. then could write off the financial loss on your taxes each year.

Steve

Although I have seen the water quite high down there I have never seen it THAT high before. You might consider challenging the DNR on what is designated as "Floodway". You need to find a sympathetic high up Indiana politician that can make all of these problems go away. That is how things always get done.
Mike unfortunately flood maps are drawn up by the feds. Second idea has some merit, been there and done it when a fellow high school classmate was governor.

Steve

Mac, no problem from me. I look at your post as an opportunity to hear issues such as this to listen to members and address concerns.

Mr. Coleman you are to be commended for coming here and putting forth your effort.

I once asked a past President of the NMLRA if he came here. He said he came here and read, but would not post as he said he was not going to be abused by the folks here.

Some folks just love to hate the NMLRA, nothing has changed here in 19 years.

Someone always answers when I call (during business hours!).

I'm still waiting on responses to several emails sent over the last 12 months. Followed up with phone calls and still never got a response from whomever was supposed to know the answer. I got too busy to keep trying.
Please reach out to me directly via email. I will have someone to respond to your questions if it is not me personally. [email protected]

Mr. Coleman you are to be commended for coming here and putting forth your effort.

I once asked a past President of the NMLRA if he came here. He said he came here and read, but would not post as he said he was not going to be abused by the folks here.

Some folks just love to hate the NMLRA, nothing has changed here in 19 years.
No commendation necessary, I feel that it is part of why I was hired.
The executive committee felt it necessary to help with communications to put forth a name and face that has the ability to surpass the election cycle, and hopes that it can be me.

This was june 2021 I believe. Flintlock inc has water marks and dates on their main entry door on the right. This mark was almost 3 feet or about that above their floor. Not even sure this picture is actual high water mark. I will add the water flow or current destroyed a couple of the booths closest to the ditch that runs between the armory and sheds. Debris etc gathers there as well.

Attachments

• 201588235_4394993623873826_1440053187496744622_n.jpg
    201588235_4394993623873826_1440053187496744622_n.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
To be as transparent as possible, we are looking at multiple solutions. We are looking at a variance to the flood map, alternate construction methods, alternate locations, and political remedies. All of these things take time and money, and share the demands on the associations time and finances with hundreds of other issues that have just as much importance. So please keep in mind that a solution may not happen quickly, but at least I can say that it is being considered and efforts are underway.

Latest posts

Back