• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When hunting do you dress the part?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally respect them and like what they do, so long as they’re actually researching and wearing correct outfits. Otherwise it’s just dress up.

For me, it has been more that just a dress up exercise. I'd be the first to say that I'm not doing indepth research to make sure all the stitching is period correct or my moosehide mocs are the way they would have made them back then. In fact, I know they are not. To me, it's more about the basic materials and styles worn and what that does to me out in the woods, either good or bad.

Before I started wearing "traditional" clothes I had certain misconceptions about the comfort and usability. By using clothing that was similar in basic aspects to what someone may have used in the 1700's, I have learned through actual experience.

For one thing I've "re-learned" that one cannot beat real wool garments for warmth and silence, even when wet. As a result, I've also converted my bowhunting gear to now be all wool. There also seems to be something about wearing wool and the ability of animals downwind to detect me. While I don't have any scientific evidence, my observations are that deer seem to be far less likely to scent me or perhaps care about whatever they are smelling when I'm wearing wool vs synthetics or cotton. Wool has quite an odor of it's own, especially when wet. I've wondered if it's a more "natural" smell that animals don't seem to mind as much? In addition, the length of a capote is exceptional for warmth and the big collar and/or cape over the shoulders is a huge help against cold winds....and I'm talking single-digit temps to well below zero type temps.

I was really surprised how well moose-hide mocs with a couple of thick wool socks inside do for warmth. In addition, "feeling" everything under my feet is an amazing aid to quietly walking through the woods or stalking. Certainly I have to be more careful on slopes as I don't have any heal to dig in, but I got used to that.

On the downside, the lack of pockets can drive me crazy! No wonder mountain men had to carry a purse.....er, ah, shooting bag or possibles bag. But, it's also made me think more about what I carry in relation to how often I really use it/need it. On my second capote, I did "cheat" and had some inside pockets sewn in, which probably isn't historically correct, but having my water inside my capote sure helps when it's below zero. I haven't researched if any surviving or documented 17th or 18th century capotes were ever found to have pockets sewn into them...somebody back then may have done it, I don't know.

Another downside is having leg ties or a long wool capote "belt" hanging down. Every burr bush in the woods seems to find those danglies and stick to them! Also, unlike a belt, I find the wool blanket belt loosens frequently and needs adjustment.

I'm sure there's been more lessons, but the point is that it's not just a "dress up" game. While perhaps not perfectly historically correct, it's been a real learning experience for me that I'm enjoying. But even if it was just for dress-up...well it would make it more fun for me anyway!

Mike

Back