• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional Pennsylvania hunt in the late season - anyone?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most excellent telling and results. So rarely two hunters can work a drive around here, let alone even more Fellows added to the group. I truly enjoy these posts and certain videos every year this time when the Pennsylvania Flintlock season is in.
Thanks again for the update.

I’m glad you guys had a good day and a successful hunt! I’m sorry I couldn’t join you.
Maybe next year
Good hunting boys!
Kevin

Dumb question to some of you I'm sure.....
Deer "drives" are illegal here, in the traditional sense, and I've never been part of one.
When the deer reach the posted hunters are they generally in a state of fleeing in fear or are they just kind of calmly sneaking away from the drivers? Not seeking a hard and fast "always the case" as I'm sure that would be unlikely, just in general or "most of the time."

I personally prefer not to shoot scared deer due to the adrenaline and other fear related hormones in the blood, but that is personal choice. I'm wondering how the drive effects this?

@Dutch7 if this takes your topic too far astray I'll try to remove it and ask elsewhere.

The idea is to move the deer in the general direction of the standers,or posters.
By walking into the wind as drivers,pushers you can sometimes keep the deer from
heading to the next county. It works real well when you have guys that no the lay of the land and can keep inline with each other.
But like all hunting,sometimes it don't always go as planned!

Last edited:
Dumb question to some of you I'm sure.....
Deer "drives" are illegal here, in the traditional sense, and I've never been part of one.
When the deer reach the posted hunters are they generally in a state of fleeing in fear or are they just kind of calmly sneaking away from the drivers? Not seeking a hard and fast "always the case" as I'm sure that would be unlikely, just in general or "most of the time."

I personally prefer not to shoot scared deer due to the adrenaline and other fear related hormones in the blood, but that is personal choice. I'm wondering how the drive effects this?

@Dutch7 if this takes your topic too far astray I'll try to remove it and ask elsewhere.
It varies, I've seen everything from a sneaking stop and go to a running for their lives scenario. IMHO, it is usually dependent on how much pressure they've seen. Deer that aren't too skittish, maybe haven't had many run ins with people don't seem to be too quick to run, will usually sneak out way ahead of the drivers. Deer that have been pressured seem to sit tighter and bust out, getting out of the area as fast as they can. Would also depend on how thick of stuff you're pushing out. I've 'rabbit hunted' deer on drives, walking thru grown up fields or powerlines thick with briar and bramble. Those deer seem to sit tighter in general, and come out on fire, where as say a patch of thick pines, they'll sneak out a good bit ahead of you. Just my observations I've made over the years.

Could go both ways. If there are just a couple of pushers on a slow walk, the deer just seem to sneak ahead, and the posters on the ends may get a shot as the deer try and circle back. I've seen it also where with too many pushers, the deer are trying to gain enough speed to take flight. Me personally, I like to hunt from ambush.

Latest posts

Back