• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional Pennsylvania hunt in the late season - anyone?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kicking myself for not getting into Flintlocks in my storied MLDR career. But I've been mulling it over the past couple years. Now you have me really getting interested in that period of blackpowder guns. Hope you gentlemen have a wonderful time, many deer and excellent success.

Jealous of all the tags you guys back east get every year, I'm lucky if I get a deer tag every year and and elk tag every 6 or so years :(

In the past (1981-1987) I owned an old pre-civil war house in a small hamlet named "Mast Hope", right there in Pike County. I bought it from an old fellow for $6,000. It was the house his wife grew up in, I often regret selling that place. Milford was the biggest town nearby and the woods in the intire area were beautiful. I have lived on the west coast since 1987 but I sure do miss that area. When I owned that house, I bought my first flintlock from dixie gun works and used it to hunt in those Pike County woods.
Do you know any hunters in Pike County? I am interested in setting myself up for a bear hunt for 2024.

Hi all,
We have solidified plans for the primitive Pa flintlock hunt. We are hunting in Centre county Pa Dec 29 &30.
If you think you might want to hunt and would like details please pm your email address to me, I don’t want to put our specific information on a public forum.
I hope you can make it.
Dutch
Sounds as if it will be a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I will not be able to get up there. Let us know how you do.

Hi all,
We have solidified plans for the primitive Pa flintlock hunt. We are hunting in Centre county Pa Dec 29 &30.
If you think you might want to hunt and would like details please pm your email address to me, I don’t want to put our specific information on a public forum.
I hope you can make it.
Dutch
Sounds great, looking at the map,,,, it looks great too.
Not going to happen for me this year though 😞
Best of luck to those involved.

Today was a good day, made some new friends, chased deer and we got one!

It was 35 degrees and clear this morning, we had 5 hunters today, all from the same family.
We moved deer on all five drives, through some of the thickest and nastiest mountain laurel I have ever encountered. I fell six times in the wet laurel but only hit the ground twice…
On the second drive there was a shot pretty soon after we started which ended up being the only shot of the day.
When I reached the road at the end of the drive no one was around but it didn’t take long and here they come dragging one, sweet!

Attachments

• 4130F907-3ECE-4528-8873-00667FC3E1CA.jpeg
    4130F907-3ECE-4528-8873-00667FC3E1CA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 64C920A5-9A45-453A-8320-1FE1CA14D3F3.jpeg
    64C920A5-9A45-453A-8320-1FE1CA14D3F3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 64C34418-A939-451C-888D-5525DFD21BCA.jpeg
    64C34418-A939-451C-888D-5525DFD21BCA.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 9B4C4DA2-A4F2-4197-AA33-FF8281404FE7.jpeg
    9B4C4DA2-A4F2-4197-AA33-FF8281404FE7.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 0
Very good day you guys had! But shouldn't you be getting ready
for some shut eye. I no my legs would be stiff,but that is the
fun of it. Good luck tomorrow!!

Thanks for filing this report and photos. Been wondering how it went today. Ready to check in tomorrow for the update, too. Congratulations on the kill.

Today was a good day, made some new friends, chased deer and we got one!

It was 35 degrees and clear this morning, we had 5 hunters today, all from the same family.
We moved deer on all five drives, through some of the thickest and nastiest mountain laurel I have ever encountered. I fell six times in the wet laurel but only hit the ground twice…
On the second drive there was a shot pretty soon after we started which ended up being the only shot of the day.
When I reached the road at the end of the drive no one was around but it didn’t take long and here they come dragging one, sweet!
Excellent. Thank you for the report.
Very sorry I couldn't join in, but I'm glad I didn't make plans a preparations for it, my season ended Christmas day when I came down sick.
I look forward to you next reports that I may enjoy it vicariously.

Day two:

Today it was 32 degrees and raining/snowing my entire drive but fortunately we were high enough to have all snow where we hunted, it wasn’t much but a little white definitely helps.
We had two guys today so the drives would need to be in smaller areas and shorter distances in hopes of getting some deer movement in front of the poster.
I walked @brewyak (Chris) into an area and gave him the plan, he picked a good spot to watch in a small draw/gully in the direction I would be pushing towards.
I back tracked, made a large circle around a very thick patch of scrub and laurel and entered. Zigzagging through the thicket a hundred yards or so and BOOM! we had a shot.
It took me a while to get through and I only cut one track which ended up walking right up to Chris.
He had reloaded by the time I made it up to him and he showed me where the deer was when he shot. No signs of a hit but the 40+ yard shot was head on so likely there was no exit wound. We decided to give it a few minutes before taking up the track. After a short pause Chris took up the task.
I stayed off to the right of the track so we didn’t goof up any sign in the dusting of snow.
After only 60 yds the deer was found piled up, likely dead at the shot and expired on the run, a good size antlerless buck.
That hunt took a total of 30 min from posting to the shot.
Chris made the drag back to the road and we loaded it up. Wish they all could be that easy… but then, no I don’t.😀

Attachments

• 7B4C4D29-BFB3-4C41-B3EB-5755FC53B3CB.jpeg
    7B4C4D29-BFB3-4C41-B3EB-5755FC53B3CB.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 4C3A118D-6CA3-4CF9-84E2-B63E0642D6D2.jpeg
    4C3A118D-6CA3-4CF9-84E2-B63E0642D6D2.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9720.MOV
    33.1 MB
Day two:

Today it was 32 degrees and raining/snowing my entire drive but fortunately we were high enough to have all snow where we hunted, it wasn’t much but a little white definitely helps.
We had two guys today so the drives would need to be in smaller areas and shorter distances in hopes of getting some deer movement in front of the poster.
I walked @brewyak (Chris) into an area and gave him the plan, he picked a good spot to watch in a small draw/gully in the direction I would be pushing towards.
I back tracked, made a large circle around a very thick patch of scrub and laurel and entered. Zigzagging through the thicket a hundred yards or so and BOOM! we had a shot.
It took me a while to get through and I only cut one track which ended up walking right up to Chris.
He had reloaded by the time I made it up to him and he showed me where the deer was when he shot. No signs of a hit but the 40+ yard shot was head on so likely there was no exit wound. We decided to give it a few minutes before taking up the track. After a short pause Chris took up the task.
I stayed off to the right of the track so we didn’t goof up any sign in the dusting of snow.
After only 60 yds the deer was found piled up, likely dead at the shot and expired on the run, a good size antlerless buck.
Chris made the drag back to the road and we loaded it up. Wish they all could be that easy… but then, no I don’t.😀
Good times and total pleasure meeting you

Day two:

Another congrats is in order.Great hunt and story.

Back