• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to do with a "spare" GPR... Rebore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam in WI

Flash in the pan
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question for the folks that have gone through the reboring process. I have a .54 Colonial on order and I'm wondering if there's anything interesting I can do with my current .54 GPR to keep me from wanting to just sell it. I already put an L&R lock on it, so what's a few more bucks if it turns into something cool, right? I've heard .58 is commonly done but I'm wondering just how big you can go on the factory barrel. Could a .60 or .62 smoothbore be done?

Send it off to Bobby Hoyt, He will be able to determine how large you can re-bore and still be safe. .60 smooth bore is usually possible, but it depends on the depth of any barrel screws and dovetails.

The GPR at 15/16 is probably pretty much maxed out at 54. Call Hoyt, he will have the answer.

On another note, it's never a bad thing to have two 54s. I have three and have had occasion to loan them.

Lots of original half stocks have inch plus thick barrels and less than half inch bores.
But, that said, our fore-bearers had us beat on upper body strength and they generally didn't live as long either.
My forty bore Great Plains Rifle is right at the max for me to hold steady. I have an extra left hand .54 GHP drop-in barrel that could be a dandy hunting piece as a .55 or .56 smooth rifle but I'd enjoy it more in .445 caliber slaughtering feral tomato cans with hollow base bullets.

To be clear, I only have the one GPR; but with a Colonial coming in I don't see it getting much use anymore unless it's tuned into something exciting
What kind of condition is it in?

I need a 54 percussion GPR, but haven't got around to looking for one yet.

I sent my 54 cakl GPR to Bobby about 7 month ago. I wanted it cut 6 in from 32 to 26 and bored smooth to 60-62 if possible. Bobby called me and said the 15/16th bbl he could bore smooth to 58 cal max and be safe due to sight dovetails and under rib screws etc. He did a great job. He cut the bbl to 26.bored it to 58 smooth and cut and refit the ramrod under rib etc, all for $130. You can't do better than that. It is lighter, handles better, easier to carry and fast to reload. You need a barrel redone, Bobby Hoyt is the one you need to call. IMHO, YMMV

Attachments

• Patch Sizes 2 Hoyt barrel.jpg
    Patch Sizes 2 Hoyt barrel.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Gemmer Hoyt Hawken 3.jpg
    Gemmer Hoyt Hawken 3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back