• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hares.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Later today, God willing, I've got to shoot some hares. European brown hare that is.
I don't want to!
I like watching them.
A farmer that gives me the run of his farm has asked me to thin the hares. They have become prolific.
I could use any manner of modern firearm but I'm gonna if as I don't really want to, use a flintlock!
This way I've got to get real close. I may not be dressed in fancy period dress but I also won't be using any optical aid other than spectacles.

I've got my bag ready. I'll be using medium powder, around 2f-3f and 1&1/2oz of AAA shot, about steel T size.
I can't say I'm looking forward to this but if I don't do it he'll get someone else to.
I have secured an outlet should I kill any.
IMG_20230715_100313.jpg

Later today, God willing, I've got to shoot some hares. European brown hare that is.
I don't want to!
I like watching them.
Hah ... you've given me a laugh to start my day. I couldn't help thinking about Hazel and Sandleford warren on Watership Down. So, your guy is the farmer in the story, eh? And you're the guy the bunnies are avoiding? Frankly, we're overrun with rabbits here this year, and what I wouldn't give to be able to plug a few of them. If I did though here in town and without a hunting license, I'd be in jail in no time.

I don't want to!
I like watching them.
A farmer that gives me the run of his farm has asked me to thin the hares. They have become prolific.
I could use any manner of modern firearm but I'm gonna if as I don't really want to, use a flintlock!
This way I've got to get real close. I may not be dressed in fancy period dress but I also won't be using any optical aid other than spectacles.

I've got my bag ready. I'll be using medium powder, around 2f-3f and 1&1/2oz of AAA shot, about steel T size.
I can't say I'm looking forward to this but if I don't do it he'll get someone else to.
View attachment 236218

I don't want to!
I like watching them.

View attachment 236218

Time to put the kettle on,
Time to get it on the boil,
The hunter is afoot,
Upon his native soil,
Venturing far afield,
He has not a care,
Save to serve at evening tea

A well prepared hare

LD

Last edited:
Happy Hare hunting Brit. Thems some big rabbits. The first Hare I ever saw was in Germany on a NATO exercise. Compared to our native cotton tails there enormous. Like the first time I hunted bears in northern Ontario back at camp one evening was talking about different animals, told the guy I was hunting on seen the biggest crows I have ever seen, he looked at me with a side type glance and said their ravens. I Never gave that a thought.

Well that was hard!
Stormy squalls kept barreling through. Drenching rain had me sheltering under trees desperately keeping that lock dry under my arm.
IMG_20230715_171603.jpg

Finally a break came and as much as I wanted to write about an epic stalk, to be honest it was very cold and almost felt callous!
During me sheltering from the rain a hare happened through the long grass below me and settled down about 70 yards away.
When the rain eased I used the oak behind me as a background and carefully cut the distance by more than half. The hare started to get suspicious so I let fly. Ignition was first class and the hare never knew a thing.
Turned out to be 30 paces. Looks to of taken about three pieces of shot.
IMG_20230715_190644.jpg

The weather deteriorated and although having a look for others decided it was enough in the conditions. Glad I did because discharging the gun to empty it did not happen. I had to fiddle with the flint, it had come loose and needed it's edge dressing. It took a while to clear the gun.
Jess is soaked, I'm damp we are off to home but first to drop the hare off at a local family.
IMG_20230715_190529.jpg

Back