• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What a time to try this hobby.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished mocking up my prototype.

Looks promising.

Now to find some of that green cannon fuse.
Video with the range report, please! :)

I've been considering the cap making kit, but wonder if that ties one to one supplier of priming compound components? I.e., when I use up all the mix that comes with the kit, are there multiple sources for more?

Anyway, don't despair, OP! Get a few caps when & where you can and go shoot! The more one indulges in the action, the more motivated one becomes to research & explore, and sources of supplies miraculously appear when you need them.

Then stock up!

Was at Cabelas near me yesterday and the guy in the gun room said they aren't getting caps in very often and only in small quantities and are gone right away. He also said they are getting very few cap and ball pistols and no Pedersoli rifles. They had only two black powder pistols in the display case.

Was at Cabelas near me yesterday and the guy in the gun room said they aren't getting caps in very often and only in small quantities and are gone right away. He also said they are getting very few cap and ball pistols and no Pedersoli rifles. They had only two black powder pistols in the display case.
The cabellas in East hartford ct has a lot of BP guns options but not a lot of the food for them.

The cabellas in East hartford ct has a lot of BP guns options but not a lot of the food for them.
The one I was at had inlines but didn't see any caplock rifles and only a Pietta 1860 Army ($395) and I think the other was a Pietta Sheriff model for around $360. That was it. They did have Pyrodex and 777.

I tried those and did go pop but did not set off the powder charges. The Reloader 22 cap making die and Primeall work. They are very corrosive but do work. Caps are out there and beginning to be available. Natchez had the CCI 11 caps on sale for $109 for 1K with no hazmat fees. My order came in yesterday.

View attachment 234610
Not now...SOLD OUT!

Pistols are cheap, powder is cheap, lead ball is cheap...
But the caps are like looking for the Holy grail.
What a gyp.
I guess ill just have a couple pieces of art for some wall display.
Maybe things will turn around but for now, obviously i picked the wrong time to get into this.

I am confused with the new way of things. At one point another company would have filled the void but i guess im just a dinosaur.
Let this shortage be a valuable lesson for the future. Political climates dictate guns, ammo, primer and powder sales/demand. If we are lucky enough to get a Republican in the White House the next election hopefully things will settle down. When they do plan for the future because it will happen again. Buy enough powder, primers and ammo you can afford during those years. Heck skip a vacation for a year and invest it in supplies. Stockpile it!! I have enough of everything to last me a decade from the same lesson I learned during Bill Clinton’s tenure.

Let this shortage be a valuable lesson for the future. Political climates dictate guns, ammo, primer and powder sales/demand. If we are lucky enough to get a Republican in the White House the next election hopefully things will settle down. When they do plan for the future because it will happen again. Buy enough powder, primers and ammo you can afford during those years. Heck skip a vacation for a year and invest it in supplies. Stockpile it!! I have enough of everything to last me a decade from the same lesson I learned during Bill Clinton’s tenure.
I just bought 2 (edited) pietta pistols in June. I didmt know supply was that low until i got them. However, i will be stockpiling for the next dry season.

Last edited:
Video with the range report, please! :)

I've been considering the cap making kit, but wonder if that ties one to one supplier of priming compound components? I.e., when I use up all the mix that comes with the kit, are there multiple sources for more?

Anyway, don't despair, OP! Get a few caps when & where you can and go shoot! The more one indulges in the action, the more motivated one becomes to research & explore, and sources of supplies miraculously appear when you need them.

Then stock up!

Just finished mocking up my prototype.

Looks promising.

Now to find some of that green cannon fuse.
What about a bit of slow match tied to the hammer and for safety, with a little shield covering the nipple vents not needed at any given time? (I've already applied for the patent.. just saying). Self priming and fire as fast as you like.. or even all at once, quite often.

Perhaps I missed something but how are Pistol, Powder and Ball Cheap In this day and age and in a all but Depression of the Country.:doh:
Agree. The new import tax caused them to jump around 20% in cost since this time last year. Everything has gone up and some things have gone up a lot. Somethings can't be had at all or very rarely.

Lessee......

Prilled KNO3, $80/50lbs
99.8% pure S powder, $20/3lbs
Black Willow, free for the cutting
Used lead roofing jacks, $200/300lbs.
Lee round ball mould, $20
Mattress ticking, $7/yard
Guadalupe river chert, free for the taking.
Spit and water, free.
Rags for cleaning, free.
A few bucks worth of electricity for casting furnace and ball mill.

1000 shots from a .32 flinter, about $16.
1000 shots from a 20-gauge, about $61.

Seems cheap to me.

Years ago, when we could get them we often used the Red Plastic caps on guns that continually miss fired. They were stronger than any of the Modern made copper or brass caps except for Fiocci brass ones(rather corrosive) They would fire any stubbern nipple. O.D.

Latest posts

Back