• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle Recommendations for a New ML Hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fnlyre

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm afraid that I have become lost and confused in the weeds of the ML world. I turn to this forum and it's collective wisdom for guidance.

I have been looking into buying a ML to replace my old Savage 11 in .308 that recently had a tragic accident. I won't be able to have it repaired in time for deer season and I couldn't justify buying another (center-fire) deer rifle. I thought I might buy a muzzle-loader as a deer-hunting replacement for this season. My reasoning being that the basic in-line ML are cheap, would allow me to add something different to the gun cabinet, and also give me the option of extending my season. I also like the simplicity (in some sense) of ML being single-shot and having open sights. The Traditions Buckstalker and CVA Wolf fit the bill here. I also came across Knight's DISC in .52 cal on sale and have been going back-and-forth on that for days now.

And then I came across this forum and other parts of the traditional ML internet and now I am wondering if I don't want to look at shooting something more traditional. There's a certain romance about hunting with a traditional muzzle-loader that is really appealing. So I've come here for advice. As a newbie to ML and as a primarily Mid-West white-tail hunter what would you recommend? I should also confess that I am not a particularly good or experienced shooter. I only really shoot a couple of times a year when getting ready for dear season. Would it be better to start with some of those simpler, newer in-line ML to get a feel for the sport, or would I be OK to jump into percussion-caps and round-ball shooting? I am willing to put some time and work into figuring it out - I tend to go pretty hard into new hobbies.

If the answer is yes to starting with a more traditional ML, what would you recommend? I don't want to spend too much on a new hobby just in case it doesn't take. My budget is ~$400 for the gun knowing there will be additional expenses for accessories and ammunition.

I appreciate any and all advice and I hope that this is an appropriate place to post this question.

There will be those that tell you to "up your budget", or "save your money for next year", or "buy once ; cry once", and all that will work..., but you can hunt with a traditional muzzleloader this year with your budget. There are a lot of deer taken every year with traditional rifles that will meet your criteria...

So you are looking at a used rifle, with that budget. Not a problem, so long as the bore has been cared for. Regardless of what you choose, used factory or waiting a year and getting something more custom, you will want something in .45, .50, or .54 caliber, as they will all work. You are also going to be reduced to a shot of 100 yards or less, and I mention this as you are transitioning from centerfire to old technology, and depending on the terrain and style one is used to, sometimes muzzleloaders are a bit of change in thinking.

There are some rifles in the ads on this page for sale that would fit the bill in the calibers that I suggested. Caplock is going to be your least expensive option and with deer season approaching fast, probably the best option. They are not fancy, but should do the job. Another option would be to check local gunshops, estate sales, pawn shops, and buy/sell shops. The key will be the bore is still good, and the lock is working. Don't take too long in finding a serviceable used rifle though, as you likely will need some range time. You will need to develop a good accurate load and get used to the sights, as you're going to have only one shot on the deer. ;)

The biggest hurdle will likely be finding powder and caps, especially caps. They can be hard to find, and caps can be pricey.

Good Luck to you, and welcome to the hobby! :thumb:

LD

LD is right on the money, there are a lot of ML rifles that will fit your budget either in the classified section here or check your local gun shops, BP guns can sell pretty cheap in a modern gunshop because their customers are not interested in them.

This will get you hunting ASAP, IF you can find the other components.

You may end up being a hunter only with BP, (which is fine), but if you are like some of us and get interested in the history surrounding ML'ers then you have a lifetime of research and time to find what interests you and then you can delve into different traditional firearms.

Sound advice given. Another question for you right now is do you want a gun that is based on a historic rifle or just a “traditional” style muzzleloader.
If wanting more historic I would look at a Great Plains Rifle. I believe thier are a couple for sale right now. If just wanting more traditional go with a TC Renegade or Traditions Kentucky.
Just a few more cents in the mix.
Aaron

Personally I would not recommend getting into muzzle loaders at all if all you do is shoot a couple of times per year. You would be better off buying a used scoped center fire rifle or a brand new Savage Axis that comes with a scope for less than $500.

Last edited:
Personally I would not recommend getting into muzzle loaders at all if all you do is shoot a couple of times per year. You would be better off buying a used scoped center fire rifle or a brand new Savage Axis that comes with a scope for less than $500.
Why? He can have just as an enjoyable time a few times per year as someone shooting weekly.

Why? He can have just as an enjoyable time a few times per year as someone shooting weekly.
In my opinion a guy can get by shooting only a couple times to get ready for deer season if using a scoped centerfire rifle but I don’t think someone that is not dedicated to practicing year round is going to develop the skill to ethically hunt with an open sighted muzzleloader. I see it every year at my local club, guy shows up a week before the opener with his deer rifle covered in dust from sitting all year, fires two or three shots from the bench and declares “ good enough to kill a deer “.

One aspect of traditional muzzleloader hunting is the fact that it puts the HUNTING back into deer season. Folks that don't appreciate what that sentence means best stick to black plastic, little houses on stilts and cracked corn tossed out by mechanical spreaders. $400 will get you into the genre, but not without luck and effort to find a good deal. Welcome aboard!

At this point you would be best off picking up a ML and planning on being proficient with it for next year....not meaning to 2nd guess your abilities...
I have an awesome like new.50 cal. GPR with Lyman apertures on it that I would love to use this year....no way. I am proficient with ML, but to get it sighted in to my satisfaction will be several outings at least. I will hope for next year...

I would recommend a traditional muzzleloader, there's a certain satisfaction about doing it the old way. I shot an inline a few times many moons ago and I personally found it boring much like I found shooting a compound bow boring compared to traditional archery. You may find that with shooting a traditional muzzleloader you will want to shoot more than a few times a year. Of course, you will also join the muzzleloading brotherhood and will have to learn the secret handshake. I will forewarn you though, once you buy one you will probably buy a few more............................

Huh, it’s weird that the deer I shot last year didn’t mind that I only had time for one range trip in the off season. Seriously, there is no magic involved with this. If you can make it to the range a couple of times you can get sighted in and iron sights aren’t voodoo either. You wanna hunt with a trad muzzleloader then go buy one. If you’re like me you’ll be glad you did.

One more comment, you will be fine going with a traditionally styled side hammer instead of an inline, in fact, many of us started in this hobby years before the modern inlines were made ... :)

If possible, find someone local to show you the ropes, that will help...

You will greatly speed up the learning curve if you can find a local traditional muzzleloading club or individual that is willing to initially work with you hands on to get started. It's LOTS more than just buying your gun. Loading procedure, working up an accurate load and accurately reproducing it, safety tips, cleaning, etc. are all important.

I see you don't have even a hint of location other than your statement that you are in the midwest. I understand that, but there may be a member or two on this forum that would be close to you to provide local assistance if you narrowed down your location a little.

I never had a so called learning curve for shooting a m/l so I do not see a problem with buying and hunting with one soon after you buy one. As for open sights everyone should be ok with them as long as you have good eyesight . How about lets be positive and try to help.

Latest posts

Back