• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel hunting, trying to piece it all together..............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, Laney. Just trying to share information with fellow ML squirrel hunting folks on here. It is to my hopes that someone may benefit from it.

Been killing squirrels for many years and I'm still learning.

In my years in the great outdoors I have seen three bobcats and on lynx. The bobcats have been visible for a minute or so and then they have just disappeared in front of my eyes. The lynx was moving away from our bird dogs in Montana and perfectly unconcerned about my presence. They are all such stealthy creatures.
Lots of bobcats in this neck of the woods. I was sitting up in my stand ( a climber) down the hill and a bobcat came up and stopped about 20 yards from me. It sat there like a house cat would sit for a few minutes. I reckon I should have put a broadhead through it but I never.

In my years in the great outdoors I have seen three bobcats and on lynx. The bobcats have been visible for a minute or so and then they have just disappeared in front of my eyes. The lynx was moving away from our bird dogs in Montana and perfectly unconcerned about my presence. They are all such stealthy creatures.
I've seen quite a few bobcats in this neck of the woods but I've only seen one Lynx. That was when I lived and flew out of Glacier Park Montana. Lynx stand kind of funny with their hind ends higher than the rest of their body. He let me get fairly close before he darted off into the brush.

Guys, I've got to say this. I absolutely love squirrel hunting gray squirrels with my Crockett squirrel rifle. Although I have hunted and killed many big game critters, elk, bear, and deer, I believe I enjoy the sport and peacefulness of squirrel hunting with my Pee Wee shooter, .32 caliber Crockett squirrel rifle as much, or more so, than all the others.

With that said, and I have made some noises to this effect before, I believe my next squirrel hunting adventure may very well be with my .54 caliber Great Plains Rifle. That thing is as heavy as heck, but dang boys, she holds steady. I outfitted it with a peep sight but left the front site as is. So it may be even more of a challenge. If I go ahead with this somewhat strange idea, I plan on down-loading it to 30 grains of 3F BP.

Either way, regardless of which one I choose as my squirrel tool, it will not be a scatter gun nor one of those scoped unmentionables. For this ole mountain man, whatever one I choose, its must be shooting a single lead ball wrapped in a lubricated patch.

Some things just has to be.

When I was a kid I got to witness a migration of squirrels, you could hear them coming and they made it to the edge of the lake jumped in and swam across , I was in a boat fishing on the lake of the Ozarks probably 45 years ago
That's interesting. I didn't even know squirrels could swim, so I did a little research on it. It actually is about squirrel migration but swimming is included.

Its a very interesting read.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/94069/great-squirrel-migration-1968

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back